PDA

View Full Version : Oddysea PS160 Skimmer

dle
10/31/2007, 09:50 PM
Hi all,
I have been using the Odyssea PS160 Skimmer for 3 months now and it does not seem to get alot in the collection cup. I tuned the airline and exit nozzle but the best I can get is greenish looking tea.

Is there something I can do to make it work better? I seen posts of modding pumps, can that be done with the stock pump that comes with it or do I need to get a new NW pump with mesh mod? Please let me know what I can do to get this skimmer to work better.

I know there is a huge thread on this skimmer but I do not want to look through 1000's of posts.

Thanks in advance.

luke33
11/01/2007, 06:10 AM
Its simple mods that will make it pull 5x's the air it does stock. First, take out the large tube in the center of the skimmer, the extra one, not the water return one. Second jerk off teh venturi and pump and add 1-2layers of mesh on it. Then take a 1/2" male pvc fitting and drill a hole in it just were the threads begin and put a 1/4" hose adapter in it with a slit cut open towards the pump. Then take a small piece of 1/2" pvc, slide it into the pvc adapter until it touches the air 1/4" hose adapter. hook it back up and it'll do 15scfh and 5x's the air. It was pulling 3scfh stock. Hope that helps. This completely milks out the skimmer

masonicman
11/01/2007, 09:13 AM
I get foam that turns into a lot of brownish looking tea. I this normal?

luke33
11/01/2007, 11:40 AM
Sure, thats normal, if you lower your h20 level a little bit more it'll get darker and darker to a point. Thats how you adjust to pull wet or dry skimmate. There's many different colors, from green tea, to dark green to light brown to dark brown to black.

dle
11/02/2007, 05:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11094808#post11094808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Its simple mods that will make it pull 5x's the air it does stock. First, take out the large tube in the center of the skimmer, the extra one, not the water return one. Second jerk off teh venturi and pump and add 1-2layers of mesh on it. Then take a 1/2" male pvc fitting and drill a hole in it just were the threads begin and put a 1/4" hose adapter in it with a slit cut open towards the pump. Then take a small piece of 1/2" pvc, slide it into the pvc adapter until it touches the air 1/4" hose adapter. hook it back up and it'll do 15scfh and 5x's the air. It was pulling 3scfh stock. Hope that helps. This completely milks out the skimmer

Luke,
I remember reading some of your post on the original 1000 long threads so thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I did not realize you can remove the inner tube of the skimmer. I posted a picture below. Do you actually mean the tube on the left there? I have a red arrow pointing to it.

Does it pull straight out or will I have to unscrew it? I am a newb so why would removing this tube help out?

All of that drilling sounds a tad complicated and I do not want to ruin the waterpump. I have an old airpump, do you think I can attach this to the airline on the waterpump to increase air intake?

Let me know. Again thanks for the replies.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/160765PS160.JPG

luke33
11/02/2007, 06:46 PM
Yep, thats the tube i'm talking about. Does nothing but take up space. As for ruining the pump, your not doing any drilling at all on the pump. let me post a few pics for you so you know what i''m talking about. Oh, just take something and rock teh tube back and forth til it pops off.

Here's what it looked like after the mod.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/ps16026-23-07.jpg

Here's what the neck looked like.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/ps16036-23-07.jpg

This white male fitting 1/2" bulkhead is what you need along with a 1/4" outside diameter hose adapter, and drill it right where the thread meets the pvc part.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/Venturi26-23-07.jpg

Now take a very small piece of 1/2" pvc and cut it, maybe 1/4" and slide it right next to thehose adapter on the inside.

Here's what it looks like, you slide the small piece of pvc down there til you hit the hose adapter.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/Venturi16-23-07.jpg

Hope that helps.

Luke

dle
11/03/2007, 07:59 AM
Luke you are the man! Those pictures help out tremendously. I know my local hardware store sales the pvc but where would I get the 1/4" hose line adapter from? I do not recall seeing that at the hardware store.

Also I noticed you had the other end of the hose end up in a soda bottle wadded with paper. That reminded me of the movies where they slience guns lol, I take it that it has the same use?

Let me know, thanks again!

120reeferman
11/03/2007, 10:47 AM
you can get the 1/4" hose addapter from any pet store or big time home improvment center, its in the pumbing section

luke33
11/03/2007, 11:20 AM
Yep, the hose adapter you can get at lowe's, hd or menards. The soda bottle was some 5min silencer i threw on.

ejmitch
11/07/2007, 09:39 PM
Hi, I'm trying to remove the center tube from my PS160 but I'm having a tough time. Any advice or tips?

Also, I considered adding the 90 degree fitting on the input inside of the main body. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

- Eric

luke33
11/07/2007, 09:53 PM
The 90 on the inside isn't going to do a ton but it won't hurt. As for taking down the inner tube you have to get something to rock it back and forth, it'll come off. I used the handle of some pliers but you just have to make sure you don't damage teh riser tube.

ejmitch
11/09/2007, 08:33 AM
Well, it took about a half hour of fiddling but I got the center tube out!

How you ask? (Warning: the following instructions worked for me but may not work for you and may in fact lead you to break your skimmer. Be careful and patient with this process.) I used a variety of tools to push the tube over towards the corners on either side of the riser tube, being very careful around that tube of course. The tube broke off on one side, but then there wasn't enough room to bend the tube the other direction and break off the other side. My solution was to rock it back and forth a bunch of times to weaken the plastic ring at the base. At this point maybe 1/4 of plastic ring at the bottom of the tube was still intact. I finally stuck a piece of PVC down the tube so the end of the PVC was right at the base of the tube and then pried on the PVC to sheered the bottom of the tube across the bottom of the skimmer. This tore off the final bit of plastic ring and the tube was free!

Good luck to anyone else that gives this a try!

- Eric

Dave12678
11/09/2007, 11:40 AM
Do these skimmers (modded) work better then a CCS60?

luke33
11/09/2007, 11:46 AM
LOL, yes man! They are just a bit smaller in dimension than an octo 150. The neck is smaller as well. IMO they can handle a 55g with no problem. Modded for the money, they are a great skimmer for someone on a budget. And the mods are all very simple. I think there better than a 65 and 125 CSS. But if you try running the ps160 as a hot, you'll get a wet floor for a few weeks until it breaks in, but i wouldn't suggest it as a hot.

Dave12678
11/09/2007, 12:00 PM
Damn I might pick one up and sell my CCS 65. Are they about the same size? Can they hang on or in sump only? Thanks again.

luke33
11/09/2007, 12:08 PM
Both, but i would not use one as a hot, it will overflow. They are $60 from www.aquatraders.com + around 20 for shipping. Dimensions are 5.5" diamter and 24" tall. There not the best build's in the world but work very well for the price if you mod them a bit.

Dave12678
11/09/2007, 12:14 PM
Ok noob question when you say hot what do you mean lol.

Dave12678
11/09/2007, 12:15 PM
NM Hang on top.

luke33
11/09/2007, 12:28 PM
Sorry, if you see hob(hang on back) or hot(hang on tank) talkin skimmer. ; )

torosax
02/05/2011, 02:29 AM
Hey guys.. I've been reading this thread and I'm looking to try and do this mod, but.. I'm a little confused haha. A few of the pictures aren't visible anymore so I'm not sure how it should look when I'm done.. I'm going to buy a PS160 on ebay tomorrow so I thought I'd try and get this stuff figured out before it actually gets here.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Betillo