PDA

View Full Version : Best nano tank?

CAPT PETE
11/01/2007, 09:07 AM
I'm looking to purchase a 22-34gal nano tank. I've read the pros and cons about the complete nano aquauriums from different manufactures. I'll be doing my own mods to whatever system I get. What is the best tank as far as quality, visual appearance, construction etc? I was looking at the RSM or the CAD tank. Any suggestions?

Bmgrocks
11/01/2007, 09:22 AM
I've heard quite a bit of controversy on the Quality of the CAD system, poorly made.

RSM has gotten Great Overall Reviews, well made, skimmer is ok, good lighting, overall good quality

I have the AP HQI's both 12 and 24, love them, think that they are better quality than the NANO Cubes, Better overall construction and product quality. And the PC lighting is higher in both.

Biocubes, are a good option as well, well made, i don't quite like the overflow systems in them, but to each his own, well made, ton's of features.

No matter which way you choose, i'd advise tostay agaw from the CAD's, too new, too many faults, and poor quality, all the other nano's are well made, ton's of mods, lighing options, you really cant go wrong.

Good Luck , look at other' peoples tanks, ask questions and go from there

RUGDOG
11/01/2007, 09:24 AM
you hear about issues with both of those but both should make nice systems. If you can handle your own mods imo the best route is to put your own system together then you can have lighting and things like you want them from the start. I have a 29 allglass with a sump and 150 watt M.H. as well as a 20 h allglass with a aqua clear fuge and skimmer and PC lighting. I would much rather putt my on own system together.

CAPT PETE
11/01/2007, 12:30 PM
Bmgrocks,

Any links to the controvery on the CAD Systems?

Bmgrocks
11/01/2007, 12:37 PM
Yep, Check out CAD 34 out of production till Dec Thread at the bottom of this page...he points out very good reasons, and i've seen a few threads on the quailty of the cad 34 on Nano Reef.com

CAPT PETE
11/01/2007, 02:21 PM
Will do. Thanks

MADtanks
11/01/2007, 07:33 PM
you check out the finnex systems yet?

new_world_disor
11/01/2007, 08:11 PM
juwel ?

121a
11/01/2007, 08:42 PM
DIY tank or maybe a custom tank?
I personally hate all in ones now or at least the concept of it.

crazyseany
11/02/2007, 06:33 AM
nice thing I think about the all in ones is the rounded glass corners. I like that look. I am getting a biocube tomorrow. I have a 75 reef and a 29 aga reef/frag tank
never really considered the 29 a nano though but I guess it is

sean

Subliminal
11/02/2007, 07:07 AM
29G AGA FTW!

29G tank: ~$75
2x MJ1200: ~$30
CPR Aquafuge: ~$100
175W MH DIY setup: ~$150
Actinic support: ~$100
Heater: ~$20

Total: $455 (and that's if you don't get good deals on used equipment).

CAPT PETE
11/02/2007, 09:46 AM
Basically what I'm looking for is the tank with the filter compartment built in. I haven't check out the finnex or the juwel systems yet, but I will . Thanks.

shred5
11/02/2007, 11:33 AM
I like the 30 gallon glass finnex m-tanks.

It has a fuge Fuge and seperate section for a skimmer. Skimmer can be removed and replaced.

Most all in one systems come with not so good lighting and the m-tank can be purchased with out it. I just like the flexability of the system...

Cad systems are pretty flexible like the finnex. The problem with the cad systems is I hate curved glass.

Dave

MADtanks
11/02/2007, 11:36 AM
i am with shred5 ;) i myself bought my finnex with no light and no skimmer, added my own Teklight and a Deltec Skimmer! my tank rocks!! all SPS, Rics, Zoas... to be perfectly honest i love this tank more than my old 120G starphire cube :) i have more control, less room for error but def more control :) good luck on your new tank :)

CAPT PETE
11/02/2007, 11:46 AM
erickrm,

Thats exactly what I want to do. Change the lights, skimmer etc. The deltec mc500 fits perfectly in the filter compartment of CAD tank. Thats the reason I was leaning towards that one. I'll check out the finnex tanks.

shred5
11/02/2007, 12:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11103240#post11103240 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by erickrm
i am with shred5 ;) i myself bought my finnex with no light and no skimmer, added my own Teklight and a Deltec Skimmer! my tank rocks!! all SPS, Rics, Zoas... to be perfectly honest i love this tank more than my old 120G starphire cube :) i have more control, less room for error but def more control :) good luck on your new tank :)

I went Tek also for lighting.. What deltec skimmer did you use? I went with the tunze nano.

Dave

MADtanks
11/02/2007, 12:29 PM
i use the MCE300 i getting ready to upgrade to an MCE600 soon ;) and going with a Aquatinics TX5 setup ;)

capt pete i didnt know you could fit the 500 in the cad, what are the dimensions of the rear compartments int he CAD?? the finnex would have been able to fit the deltec but it would block the sump drain too much and was off by like .25 of an inch so i went with the MCE300, but now like i said want the 600!! if i could have used my Deltec APF 600 i would have!!! but then there would have been too much crap behind my tiny lil nano hahah.

CAPT PETE
11/02/2007, 01:54 PM
erickrm,

I'm also going with the Aquactinics TX5. I spoke with Doug at Deltec and he has the 22 gal CAD tank with the mc500 in the rear compartment. I believe he put it in the refugium. Don't know the dimensions of the chamber off hand.

jewtball
11/02/2007, 03:18 PM
i have the 22G with the Cadlights with the T5HO 144W for about 6 months now and the quality and design is much better than the other nano tanks i have seen in the stores even now. i recommended them to a few of my friends and they love it too. i still have all the original lights and components, but overall i love the tank.

the main problem they had was that they had a few HQI strips that were defective but have replaced them. the design and build of the tank have no problems.

compared to when a large number of JBJs that cracked open, Aquapods electrical leak and recall and now like 50% of the Bio-cubes ballasts burning out. i think only RSM ones dont have too much major problems. if i was to get a 30G+ nano tank i would either get the RSM or the new 34G Signature that is due in December.

CAPT PETE
11/02/2007, 03:48 PM
jewtball,

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Cadlights right now. I have to take a real good look at them before I make my final decision. I plan on going to the manufacturer around December as I only need the tank and stand. All of the other components I'll get myself. How do you like the rounded glass corners? Does it distort the view somewhat?

jewtball
11/03/2007, 10:17 AM
the curve does give some distortion if you go close to the tank and look through the curve. but if you dont look directly into to curve, you barely notice it. the more flat sides of the front and sides give no distortion.

i love the rounded sides with the whole frameless and seamless design of the tank especially the beveled edges and clean look.. theres just nothing like it available. its so beautifully made.

i am planning to wait till after Christmas when i come back to get the new 34G. are you planning on the same sized set-up?

mjoener
11/03/2007, 12:38 PM
RSM!

CAPT PETE
11/03/2007, 02:52 PM
kmjoen230,

Looked at the RSM. Don't like the enclosed hood. I want to upgrade the lights and don't want heat issues.