PDA

View Full Version : Yet another stand leveling question...

heyfredyourhat
11/01/2007, 01:25 PM
So I built a stand...didn't like the way it sat with the tank so I scrapped it and built another one.... Long story short the top surface (tank to stand mating surface) has a very slight bow/hump....

I applied 2 gallons of the uscomposites table top epoxy to try and level things out. Worked okay, the hump is still there, albeit the tank sits dead level. The tank is a 4x2x2 120G glass with the plastic trim on the perimeter and I have laid about 4 sheets of the white 1/8" foam under the tank to help with any irregularities.

Oh and the hump isn't bad enough to rock my tank side to side, but if I remember correctly the 4 ' level didn't sit 100% flush with the top...

Am I overthinking this thing or should I pull the tank back off sand the heck out of the stand. Or can I get away with putting 1" "nailers" around the perimeter??

I am not sure why I hadn't made it 100% precise prior to putting the tank back on....

Sharkbait1
11/01/2007, 02:38 PM
Is the tank already full? If not I would just sand it down. And I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't put that foam padding under the tank, something about stress and possible cracking of the bottom glass.. But I might be wrong on that.

Chrsnwk
11/01/2007, 03:58 PM
you are not supposed to use anything between the tank and the stand for a glass tank with a plastic frame. I'd agree with Sharkbait, sant it down to level it if you can. how slight of a bow are we talking about?

woz9683
11/01/2007, 04:50 PM
What is the surface, a glass tank doesn't need anything underneath it at all. any surface is just adding unnecessary weight and potential problems like this levelling issue. For a glass tank the most you need is a full perimeter; at the least, four corners will do.