PDA

View Full Version : Naso Tang and Powder Blue Tang - same tank?

scottkel
11/02/2007, 02:03 PM
Hey guys, i was wondering if these two are compatible...?

Thanks.

Scott

JimKelly12203
11/02/2007, 02:25 PM
for a 180 that should work! I'm sure people have had success with those 2 in that type of tank.

For me, it's too risky. the naso and PB have similar body shapes and it is widely believed that Tangs attack species that look and eat in a similar way.

There are many different tang shapes,

PB/Naso shape
Yellow/Purple shape
Hippo shape

I would not go with any two species that look alike. But you probably can make it work.

Keep in mind, though, that if properly cared for, tangs live a long time. And as they age, their behavior changes. two 3" long tangs will one day be 2 8" + long tangs. And as their environment shrinks with respect to their size, they will alter their behavior.

This is all just theory. I don't have either types of tang. But i'm fairly well read on them and would proceed with caution.

scottkel
11/02/2007, 02:36 PM
Good point about them growing! I have a Yellow tang already and i know that you really shouldnt put the same body shapes together...

Thanks for your input... Maybe i will go with a Naso and a Hippo...!

JimKelly12203
11/02/2007, 02:53 PM
You know, looking at them on-line, they're not quite as similar as i thought. It's close... I don't know? Maybe it would be a fine match for such a large tank. I'm sure someone will chime in eventually that has experience with the two of them together (good or bad).

yoboyjdizz
11/02/2007, 03:01 PM
Those two will be fine together only problem you might want to consider is a naso will outgrow that tank.

Crusty Old Shellback
11/02/2007, 03:01 PM
I don't have a PB but I do have 2 Naso's, 2 yellow's and blue hippo in my 400 G tank. None of them seem to bother each other. The naso's are the largest at 12" male and 10" female. But as they have been in capativity for over 6 years now, thye have become accustomed to being with other tangs and also know where to look for food, i.e. ME.

scottkel
11/02/2007, 03:29 PM
blown - i went and checked out your 400 gallon - that is awesome! those nasos look awesome...!

tbone28
11/02/2007, 04:54 PM
In my old tank, a 240g, I had a Naso, Powder Blue, blue, yellow, purple, Vlamingi, Sohal, and Dussimeri tang. All got along.

I later added a clown tang. The other tangs, including the Sohal, didn't bother it, but I couldn't get it to eat.

I also added an Achilles, but the Powder Blue didn't like him and wouldn't let him eat.

Crusty Old Shellback
11/05/2007, 08:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11104738#post11104738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scottkel
blown - i went and checked out your 400 gallon - that is awesome! those nasos look awesome...!

Thanks. I need to get some new pic's up as they have grown a bit. I've also added a few more fish as well like a Moorish Idol which is doing great.

tbone28
11/06/2007, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11105223#post11105223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
In my old tank, a 240g, I had a Naso, Powder Blue, blue, yellow, purple, Vlamingi, Sohal, and Dussimeri tang. All got along.

I later added a clown tang. The other tangs, including the Sohal, didn't bother it, but I couldn't get it to eat.

I also added an Achilles, but the Powder Blue didn't like him and wouldn't let him eat.

OK, so I'm a tang lover. Just added a male, blonde naso and powder blue today. So far, so good. Everyone's getting along with my Desjardini!

Crusty Old Shellback
11/07/2007, 08:39 AM
Nice group of tangs there tbone. But what are you going to do when they all grow up?

The Naso and Vlamingi will get at least to 12". I know I still have my 12" Naso and I got rid of a 13" vlamingi. The Dussimeri will also get big as well. I hope you've left some swimming room in that tank.

I'm not trying to play Tang police or anything. It's just that I see how little swimming room my 12" naso has in a 7' long 400 G tank. Sometimes they just seem crowded in there. And knowing how big some of those tangs get, just wondering if you have a plan for their future?

tbone28
11/07/2007, 10:37 AM
Crusty: all those tangs were in my old tank. I sold the entire setup. I have a sailfin, powder blue, and naso right now.

Crusty Old Shellback
11/07/2007, 02:29 PM
OK. Still teh Naso and Sailfin will get big. The sailfin I got rid of was about 10" tall and 8" long when I gave him and the Vlamingi to a guy with a 1100 G tank.

A lot of people don't realize how big these fish can get. Most will think that they will only grow to the size of their tank. Sorry but that's not right. My Naso was caught in Hawaii and passed on to the guy I bought my system from. He's been in capativity now for about 6 years. He's still going strong and will rival most tangs you see in a large aquarium display like Long Beach, Georiga or Monterey bay aquariums.
I did recently visit the long beach Aquarium of the Pacific where I saw one Naso out of all that they had that was better than mine, only because his fin streamers where twice the size of mine. ;) Other than that, mine was just as beautiful and healty as theirs. :D