PDA

View Full Version : Will a SE MH bulb blow up if it gets a drop of water onit?

salty3
11/02/2007, 07:51 PM
Just wondering since my retro fit dosn't have a shield on it. Does anyone run theirs without a shield?

djcerna
11/02/2007, 07:53 PM
No,
only if you really splash it.

VaderWS6
11/02/2007, 07:59 PM
Mine get splashed all the time (no MAJOR spashing though). Just make sure you clean them off at night if you notice a lot of water spots. The spots will build up and become a huge pain to clean, if not impossible since they get baked on. Every 2-3 months I take my SE bulbs out and soak them in white vinegar up about 1" from the socket for a couple hours. This keeps them spotless and ultra clear.

Chris Witort
11/02/2007, 08:07 PM
It may take more than a drop, but it happens all the time. Then you have broken glass mercury and other toxic metals in the water. A lens reduces the light output but protects against the bulb ending up in the water and keeps salt off the reflector and bulbs.

salty3
11/02/2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the answeres. Well My reflector and bulb are 18 inchs away from the water surface but I was going to lower it to a closer spot say 10 inchs or so and was wonder if I should add a shield or not.

Vader, and DJ how far are your bulbs away from the water? Or how far are anyones, who don't use a shield?

JCTewks
11/02/2007, 10:23 PM
My luminarc L3 large sits directly on the top of the tank...so, bulb is about 4" from water surface. I get a bit of salt spray on there, but never had any problems with big splashes....I do however only have one fish, a dragon goby, and it doesn't ever make any quick movements near the water surface that would cause a splash.

McCrary
11/02/2007, 10:45 PM
I have my halides about 12" from the water and they occasionally get a little splashed, but nothing major. My buddy did crack a bulb by splashing water onto it, its the same concept as pouring hot water onto a cold windshield or vice versa.

JCTewks
11/02/2007, 10:52 PM
Or that time when I just couldn't wait on my reflector to get the MH on the tank...so I laid the bulb on a piece of glass over the aquarium :) that lasted about 10 minutes :lol:

Bryan
11/03/2007, 03:41 AM
Careful, depends on the bulb and it's resistance to water spalshes. My Iwasaki bulbs can literally take a soaking from water splashes, but XM's will crack at even a few splashed drops.

salty3
11/03/2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks everyone. Well I just ordered a XM and was felling all good about this till I read the last post. LOL I guess it wouldn't hurt to add a sheet ot glass from HD or something. Thanks again for everyone feedback.

Coderabit2
11/03/2007, 09:21 AM
I have had xms for a few years now and have never had them crack due to splashing.

VaderWS6
11/03/2007, 11:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11107864#post11107864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bryan
Careful, depends on the bulb and it's resistance to water spalshes. My Iwasaki bulbs can literally take a soaking from water splashes, but XM's will crack at even a few splashed drops.

I overdrive my XM 250 watt SE bulbs, so they get extremely hot. They constantly get splashed, and I've never had a bulb crack. I've used Iwasaki's and XM's for years, no problems with cracking at all.