PDA

View Full Version : Can you add ...

marcsmith73
11/02/2007, 08:11 PM
Can you add vitamins to tank water after disolved. Ie: Vitamin C.

If so, does anyone do this, and are there benifits?

I understand they add vitamins to Food for fish, and such. Is it beneficial in your tank water now and again?

Thanks,

~Marc

Sk8r
11/02/2007, 08:14 PM
No. Don't add what you haven't tested for.
Get Salifert tests.
Sea salt is more than salt: it contains many, many trace elements and minerals, and you don't have to add things like that. Ultimately you may be adding calcium, etc, but the amount you have to add v. human-designated calcium pills is considerable and pricey: buy stuff designed for fish, not people.

marcsmith73
11/02/2007, 08:16 PM
I'm talking about Vitamin C , and other water soluable vitamins?

Would it be wrong of me to think that this is in a sence is what Amino acids would acomplish?

thanks for your input.

JamesJR
11/02/2007, 08:30 PM
Vitamins are not something you should have to add. Most organisms have a high capacity to synthesize their own vitamins and adding them to a tank should not give you any real benefits.

For instance, Most organisms are able to make their own vitamin C and thus have no need to ingest it. We humans are really on oddity because we are some of only a handful of animals that cannot make their own vitamin c and must acquire it in the foods we eat.

bertoni
11/03/2007, 12:29 AM
I agree. I don't know of any evidence that human vitamin supplements are useful for marine animals, especially if added to the water column.

dots
11/03/2007, 01:19 AM
Most vitamins are binder anyways, they are made to look bigger to give you the impression you are getting your monies worth.