PDA

View Full Version : Coral Spawn? What the Hec?

rooster426
11/02/2007, 09:44 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11067spawn1.JPG

I had an interesting event last night in my tank. I looked over and saw a bunch of little red blobs floating around the tank. As I watched, they just became more and more numerous. I could not figure out where they were coming from. Finally I saw that they were coming out of the mouths of all my Rhodactus(?) mushroom corals. I'm actually not sure what these things are. I thought they were elephant ear corals, but I've been told they're not. They're pretty large when fully opened - maybe 10 inches in diameter. They seem to pop-up and multiply pretty rapidly on their own - I started with one and now have over 20 in the tank. But I've never seen anything like this happen in the 3 years they have been in my tank. The gamets/eggs/whatever were so prolific that my water quality almost crashed, and I honestly feared the worst. But in the morning the water was cloudy, but everything else was fine.

Nothing has changed in the tank, that I know of. Any hints as to what precipitated this? Was it actually a spawning event? Can anyone tell by the picture what these things really are? Thanks.