PDA

View Full Version : Soundproofing ideas for pumps

jmarzullo
11/03/2007, 07:18 AM
Has anyone ever built a box for an external pump for soundproofing purposes? I'm thinking about making it out of styrofoam with some insulation on the inside, leaving the vent side open.

heyfredyourhat
11/04/2007, 08:56 AM
Is it the pump noise or is it vibrating ang transfering the sound through solid objects (pipes, floor....)> Alot of ppl here try to place a mouse pad underneath the pump, i am going to try and use silicone tubing under my pumps when i am ready to install them.

Tom Fay
11/04/2007, 02:18 PM
I can tell you from experience and many dollars of trying a lot of different pumps that your problem isn't the mount, it's the pump you chose. You can't polish a turd. Been there, tried that. For all the bad rap Velocity pumps get for running hot, one thing is for sure: They are dead silent with no vibration. My Velocity T2 sits right on the wood base of my stand and you can't hear it run even if you put your ear to the wood. I had a Gen X PCX30 that the GenX website called "quiet". Whatever. I tried everything with piece of junk. I finally bit the bullet and bought a good pump.

rlabriola
11/04/2007, 02:47 PM
the external pump needs ventilation to cool the motor..if you insulate it by putting it in a box it will probably overheat.