PDA

View Full Version : ordered some new zoanthid/palys

kimboslice
11/03/2007, 12:29 PM
got them on wednesday, and they havent really opened, it is saturday right now

when should i start worrying and what can i do, i think it might be caused by acclimating to fast? i just floated and dropped in and it was overnight shipping

also i got 4 frags and 2 are completely open and 2 are completely closed

flyyyguy
11/03/2007, 02:26 PM
Floating them and dropping them in is all that is necessary, however you need to at a minimum add a dip in there or you WILL pay for it sooner or later.

Got a pic?? If they are just closed up I wouldnt worry too much about it yet. If they are closed up and look way shriveled or shedding lots of tissue and possibly smell bad......then its not so good.

kimboslice
11/03/2007, 02:34 PM
no pic, only 1 single polyp looks a little weird out of a combined 10 polyps on both of the frags that wont open

are u saying if i dont dip i will lose my zoos or introduce nudibranches? and what dip do u recommend? all i have is lugols

InADream
11/03/2007, 03:16 PM
What flyyyguy is saying is that if you get a zoo or paly from a non trusted source you could be adding pests to your tank as well as your zoos... Lugols is good for a dip, just make sure you read the directions to a T... I prefer to use Tropic Marine Pro Coral, just try and get into the habit of dipping all of your corals before inserting them into your tank...

Many people on here will tell you that the extra 10 minutes of work will help to ensure a healthy tank...

Dream

flyyyguy
11/03/2007, 04:46 PM
I use TMPCC as well, and a bright light, a toothbrush and a magnifying glass.

EVERYBODY is infected as far as Im concerned. I keep primarily sps and have had to deal with AEFW's. Once youve felt that pain you dont take it for granted anymore. Trust nobody as far as pests go.

cougarguy
11/03/2007, 05:48 PM
I will agree about the trust nobody comment I have a LFS that I do all my business with and they have always been great and honest, but I recently got a couple frags from them and when dipping them found 4 zoa eating nudi's.

I dont blame them as they receive corals from the wild on a very frequent basis but I learned my lesson on not trusting anyone as far as pests go.