PDA

View Full Version : whats the cause????!!

speedo2wet
11/03/2007, 01:24 PM
I've searched around and just can not find anything that is helpful. Maybe someone else has seen or had the same problem. I had some macro growing and then it turned this clear opaque color and became slimy. I quickly took it out of the refugee and tossed it away not knowing what was happenening.
Does anyone know?
I do have some hair algae growing in the refuge and read somewhere to scrape the hair algae out because it is using the nutrients up before the macro can.

redmangrove
11/03/2007, 11:26 PM
If you had caulerpa in the fuge it sounds like it went sexual. I have seen this happen from lack of water flow or overgrowth/condensed growth of the macro to where the plant competes with itself for nutrients.

I would switch the macro in the fuge to chaeto.

speedo2wet
11/04/2007, 07:36 AM
so either lack of flow or overgrowth! it certainly was not over growth so I am going on the no flow. Nice to know. I can say that maybe the flow in my fuge was not good. I have been working with it to increase the flow since I have two over flows (tank used to be an enclosed circuit) but the original overflow was way to small for the pump. Do you think lack of nutrients in the tank or the green hair algae around the caulerpa? I did last night try and scrap off as much hair algae from the sides so the macro can grow and take charge.

ClamIAm
11/04/2007, 11:53 PM
Agreed, it sounds like your algae has gone sexual. This is their response to unfavorable growth conditions. It could be insufficient lighting, lack of flow, lack of nutrients, or a number of other things. More info would be needed to determine the exact problem.