PDA

View Full Version : Remote drain for protien skimmer?

sean.laney
11/03/2007, 09:12 PM
I have a Aqua Medic T 1000 and I want to put a remote drain barb on the skimate cup can someone tell me what parts I need to do that?
Thanks everyone.

JaredWaites
11/03/2007, 09:21 PM
You want to know how to put a drain on your skimmate cup?

Most people drill their cups and use some sort of hose or tubing and lead that to a sink drain, 5 gallon bucket, etc.

jnarowe
11/03/2007, 09:44 PM
sean.laney:

[welcome]

There are several ways to do it but the simplest way IMO is to get a 3/8" John Guest bulkhead, drill the cup, and install it. Then you can run 3/8" tubing to whatever you want to use as a collection bucket. I put valves on all mine so that I can close the valve, disconnect the hose, and carry the cup to the sink.

sean.laney
11/03/2007, 10:19 PM
Do they sell the John Guest bulkhead at like Home Depot?
I have seen the T's... but not a bulkhead does anyone have a pic of what it looks like or a website I could order one from?
Thanks for the really quick replies!

Freed
11/03/2007, 11:04 PM
I drilled a hole in my skimmer cup for a 3/8" J. Guest threaded elbow. I have a J.Guest 3/8" valve after the elbow and then 3/8" vinyl tubing going to the PVC in the basement that goes to the main sewer. PRICELESS!!!

sean.laney
11/03/2007, 11:07 PM
so do you just glue the elbow in place or do they sell a nut for it?
Thanks

Freed
11/03/2007, 11:13 PM
I had to tap the hole for the elbow and threaded it in place.

jnarowe
11/03/2007, 11:43 PM
That's why I suggested the JG bulkhead. A lot of people don't have the taps. But you make a good point. If the cup is thin enough material, you could just drill a hole for a JG elbow or valve that has one end with the screw on keeper. So many ways to do it, but check out the fittings at HD first. If you have a tap, you could do that, but usually skimmer cups are very thin and not easy to tap. I got a bunch of the bulkheads a while back when I ordered from SAVKO, but they may have them at a local hardware store too.