PDA

View Full Version : Niger Triggerfish

Mappelbaum37
11/04/2007, 08:59 AM
Im just curious about this fish... Is the niger triggerfish reef safe??? Will he eat small fish like clowns? Are they easy to take care of? Would one of these guys mix ok with mainly all non-aggressive fish?

Thanks a lot!

catdoc
11/04/2007, 10:24 AM
I'll preface this by saying that I've never had a trigger. I was at my LFS this week though and they had a 4" niger in a small tank (you know, the little divided tanks in a wall) with a blenny. The trigger was really harassing the blenny. He kept grabbing the little guy by the dorsal fin and shaking him (picture a big dog shaking a toy). The blenny's dorsal fin was just about gone and the little guy kept trying to hide behind the heater. We told the LFS employee and he moved him to a safer place.

Mappelbaum37
11/04/2007, 12:55 PM
Has anyone ever had or have a niger triggerfish? What if it was the last fish put into the tank?

LauraCline
11/04/2007, 01:04 PM
I have not owned one either but I've observed enough of them that I feel confident telling you it depends on the fish and the larger the tank size the better. I've seen one coexist peacefully with small fish in a 535 gallon reef including cleaner shrimp, I've seen one coexist in a 180 FOWLER with a Large Lion, Hippo tang, yellow tang, purple tang, maroon clown, naso tang, sfe, and a foxface - no problems. I've also seen one in a LFS holding tank almost kill a yellow tang that was bigger than him. I also saw another one at a LFS that would attack anything that entered the tank including hands. They can be a rough fish. I would try to find one that seems calm, get him very small, and add him last if you're going to try it.

Jeff
11/04/2007, 01:05 PM
I have a Niger in my reef and he is a model citizen. No problems.

dadonoflaw
11/04/2007, 01:08 PM
i have a niger trigger now and he will probably have to come out. he is mild mannered for a trigger but realize that it is getting more aggressive as it settles in. if you are going to try it make sure you have a way to get it out. i will likely replace him with a male blue throat trigger as they are much better suited for a reef. their adult size is about a foot and a half which is much larger than an adult blue throat trigger which is about 9 in.

Mappelbaum37
11/04/2007, 02:22 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=257

What does it mean when it says that the fish might re-arrange the rocks and landscaping? (2nd paragraph)

Reefynewby
11/04/2007, 02:50 PM
Mappel, by rearranging rocks etc., it means he will change what you have setup.:eek: There was a clown trigger before i heard of that would actually pick up a star off the glass and swim with it across the tank. They can move your rocks and DEFINITELY your sand.

Next, niger triggers are iffy. Some people say they are, some don't. They get more aggresive w/ time, and you can't add any inverts after, as i tried w/ cleaners, and they got picked off before they even landed on the rocks (at this point he was only 4-5" long.) I wouldnt go for a niger, but rather a blue throat, pink tail, sargassum, crosshatch for a better choice.

JUST in my IMHO btw.

dadonoflaw
11/04/2007, 06:03 PM
reefy is correct. my niger doesnt really move things but i have seen them do it. also get one of the more reef safe triggers. trust us