PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a used tank

Lacy
11/04/2007, 04:41 PM
Hi,

I am new to glass aquariums so this question pertains to them, I recently purchased a 180g glass aquarium that had considerable buildup of coaraline alge, calcium deposits and other residue on the glass. I have tried vinegar (I started weak then went to pure) and a razor to clean the glass so that I have the cleanest glass to start with. I also want to ensure I do not damage the silicone seal.

CLR and Lime-Away both claim to be non-toxic* if rinsed (eg: *If used as 1 part CLR to 8 parts water, a coffee maker has to be run through 4 times with plain water).

All that being said, has anyone used CLR or similar products with good results?

This tank will be a reef when complete - SPS to softies, clams to crustations. I certainly don't want to do anything that will harm them when the tank is set up, but all my experience is with Plexi tanks - this is my first glass aquarium.

Another question - can anything get the scratches out of glass? On plexi I have used tooth paste, Bon Ami, plexi-cleaner, etc.

Thanks for all your comments and help.
Lacy

aaron L
11/04/2007, 06:02 PM
You can not get the scratches out of the glass. Fillthe tank with tap water and scrape it with a razor blade. Works great for me

kevin2000
11/04/2007, 06:40 PM
When I purchase an old tank loaded with old coralline algae I put the tank outside .. fill it with water and then add some muratic acid (sold in most hardware stores and often used for pool cleaning and concrete work). Muratic acid is nasty stuff but diluted with sufficient water its just an inexpensive concentrate form of vinegar. Make sure you do this outside and let it sit overnight.