PDA

View Full Version : Stuck fish, please help.

SquidHC
11/04/2007, 11:26 PM
So somehow my firefish got in the rear chamber of my 14g BioCube. I have no freaking clue how to get it out of there. I spent about an hour trying. Any suggestions?

Sk8r
11/04/2007, 11:30 PM
I don't know biocubes and can't help, but don't panic and don't hurt him trying: sometimes you can pull hoses and get to a downflow, or cause the fish to drain out into a bucket.

If this doesn't work somebody will come up with an idea...be it even using a tube you manuver the fish into, put your palm over the top end, like capturing coke in a soda straw, and then lift him out...etc. There's got to be a way.

And when you DO catch the blighter, get his escape route plugged.

sruiz
11/04/2007, 11:57 PM
Try a big hose. Maybe you can siphon him out. Or get someone with small hands and pull him out. I would try a small hand first.

SquidHC
11/05/2007, 12:27 AM
/bump

Drock169
11/05/2007, 02:06 AM
hey I had the same prob a couple weeks ago
Its really tricky to get him out. There are a lot of spots where you cant get your hand in to. what I did was pull out any equipment you might have in the 3rd chamber (pump, heater etc.), also remove you stock sponge in there. Clear out your 2nd chamber aswell, take out the bioballs if you still have them in there and the tray at the bottom of the chamber. this will give you a lot of room to work with. hopefully you have a fish net small enough to fit into chamber 2.

Try to get the fish where the stock sponge is and then put your hand into the third chamber this should scare the fish into your net. It may take a couple trys but it worked for me. If its in the first chamber I'm not to sure how to get it out, I would go to the hardware store and find the largest tubing I could and Siphon him out probably.
Hope this helps and good luck, they are pretty hardy mine spent a couple dyas back there before I found him in there

Drock169
11/05/2007, 02:07 AM
damn well the formatting didnt work out on my diagram but hopefully you can figure out what i meant

uscharalph
11/05/2007, 02:19 AM
Any luck?

SquidHC
11/05/2007, 11:37 AM
not yet. I see him down there, but cant get him. Im gonna try and bate him out with some mysis and a net.

Brian5280
11/05/2007, 12:02 PM
I had this happen several times, find something to chase it around with, it will freak out, jump out of the tank then you can pick it up off the floor and put it back in the display.

Also, you're going to have to figure out a way to block it off because now that he found his way back there, he is going to keep doing it.

Aquarist007
11/05/2007, 12:03 PM
when all else fails use a small shop vac--put water in the vac first so the fish isn't hurt when it enters the canister.

SquidHC
11/05/2007, 06:07 PM
Well I got him out. I used a turkey baster to blow bubbles at him. I had my net set up to catch him but he managed to jump out onto my computer desk, then onto the carpet. Hes back in the tank now and seems just fine.

Aquarist007
11/06/2007, 08:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11123218#post11123218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SquidHC
Well I got him out. I used a turkey baster to blow bubbles at him. I had my net set up to catch him but he managed to jump out onto my computer desk, then onto the carpet. Hes back in the tank now and seems just fine.

that's great--glad to hear
hmmmm---a carpet surfer--should have suggested you play old Beach Boy tunes in the background and it might have surfed right into your net:rollface: :lol: :rollface: