PDA

View Full Version : Help with T5 light

Lion359
11/05/2007, 01:26 AM
I have a 46 bow front reef which is stocked with softies, zoo's, and mushrooms. I am looking to upgrade my lighting which is currently 192w PC. I would like to go T5, but am unsure how much I need. I am looking at a nova extreme 4x39, or an aquactinics 5x39. the price difference is huge, and I am wondering if I really need the extra bulb. I don't want to spend the extra money if it is not going to be needed. Also if anyone has input on another fixture that would also be appreciated.

Thanks Jim

sir_dudeguy
11/05/2007, 02:41 AM
Personally, i'd go with the reefgeek.com icecap retro. Here's the one i got for my 40 breeder...
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Retrofit_Kits/36_inch__4x39W_SLR_T5_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

I went with the ATI bulbs and i can grow pretty much whatever i wanna grow in my 40. Your 46 really shouldnt be much different...little taller so the higher light needy stuff should go up top prolly, but for all the stuff you've got, they'll get plenty of light throughout the tank with 4x39.

I'd only go with a t5 fixture with individual reflectors on each bulb. Thats what makes them so good for the most part.

If you dont have a canopy to mount a retrofit kit in though, the next best thing would be the tek light prolly...
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/36_inch__Tek_Light:_4-39W_T5_High-Output_Fixture_with_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply

Should be just about the same..maybe not quite as intense because the icecap reflectors are way killer.

Hope this helps. I've had the icecap one for around 4-6 months now and i really really like it. All my softies (and stonies for that matter) get really nice colors and grow pretty quick under mine ;)

Lion359
11/07/2007, 01:12 AM
ok, I will look into the tek fixtures as well, I would like to go retro, but I don't have a hood. one drawback to the bow fronts is the difficulty in fitting lights and sumps. Thanks for the advice

The Big Tuna
11/09/2007, 07:27 PM
Just make shure that you get bulbs by ATI, GE(3k or 6.5k) or geissmann. Also make hure that all the bulbs have individual reflectors. There is a real reason for the price differences in T5 lighting, the cheap stuff totally sucks.

Joshua