PDA

View Full Version : live rock

coralbound
11/05/2007, 05:10 PM
Recently aquired a 100 gal. tank that had been sitting unplugged for about a month and a half. Inside this tank was about 3 inches of sand and LOTS of live rock, I put it all in a tote with powerheads and skimmer while I cleaned the rest of the tank (took 2 days). Have pics if needed. How long would you suggest that I let it cure before the next step. Which I would assume should be to put snails and maybe damsels to help complete the cycling process. Any/all suggestions welcome!

yellowwatchmen
11/05/2007, 05:39 PM
I would let it go for 2-3weeks. Yeah some damsels would help but dont put the damsels in your display you will regret it.

coralbound
11/05/2007, 05:55 PM
When do I add them to the tank and when would it be ok to add the snail package?

Roger928
11/05/2007, 06:13 PM
I would put the rock and sand in the tank, start it up and wait. At this time there is no need to add anything. The cycling will begin with just the live rock. Closely monitor ammonia, nitrites and nitrates until the ammonia peaks and begins to decline. If you wish you can add a little frozen or flake food to the system to encourage the process, but I'd hold off with any livestock until your ammonia and nitrite levels are near zero. I'd also forget the damsels, as they're not needed and you'll regret having them in the tank.

Go slowly.

Good luck.

chrissreef
11/05/2007, 06:14 PM
I'd go 3 weeks... test the water at 2 weeks... or basically test until everything is clear... once clear I usually wait 1 week just to be "safe"

if there's that much live rock, adding a damsel or two isn't going to make a bioload difference... plus that's cruel in my opinion.

Basically when everything looks good, for 1 week I add a little food every day and after a week if everything still looks ok as far as tests, then I'd say you're good to go to add snails etc. =)

uscharalph
11/05/2007, 06:15 PM
Don't add snails till your tank finishes cyling.