PDA

View Full Version : Live rock "live" timeline

Hens4Fish
11/05/2007, 06:15 PM
Hey All,
My question concerns the rate of live rock becoming live. I have an established 75 that had 125 lbs of fully cured LR. I then bought 125 lbs of dry base rock to make live for my moms FOWLR tank. It has been in the tank for 2 months, and almost 50% coverage with coraline. I know thats not too important, but my question is this. She will be setting the tank up in 3 weeks, then letting it cycle for 6-8 weeks.
So will the rock be "live" by that time, 3 months?
Will it cycle the new tank after 3 months of growing from dried rock?
What I am wondering is if the rock will have the bacterial beds set up to properly cycle and filter the water?
I hope this is not too confusing, but I am just unsure when the LR will be completely "live".
Thanks,
BIll

bertoni
11/05/2007, 06:24 PM
The rock is probably live enough already. Adding a tiny bit of fish food now and then might help keep the rock going. I'd add some live rock to help get some animal populations going, and then start feeding very small amounts of fish food or phytoplankton.

Hens4Fish
11/05/2007, 06:48 PM
There are many critters in the 75 now, worms, pods, crabs, etc... But you suggest adding true "live rock" to the tank after I transfer it over to the new one? Thanks for the response.
Bill

bertoni
11/05/2007, 07:03 PM
I'd probably add a bit of live rock, but it's definitely optional.

Pike614
11/05/2007, 07:12 PM
I'd be in for a LR order if you want to split it.