PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Dragonet...help

jden092901
11/06/2007, 03:52 PM
Question...I have a 30 gallon tank, I dont know how much live rock, I would guess around 50 lbs, 2.5-3 inch sand bed. I just got a scooter Dragonet. At the store, it said "scooter". Thkinking it was a scooter blenny, got home, looked on the net and found its a Scooter Dragonet. Do you think it will eat flake food, brime shrimp, or what? He is not eating the brime shrimp. I know he eats pods, but dont know if I have enough in my tank for him (also have a 6 line wrasse). I have only had him about 4 days. What do you think?

Thank You,

Joshua

bertoni
11/06/2007, 03:55 PM
I'd try frozen food, like mysis, Formula 1, and Cyclop-Eeze. Those fish aren't easy to feed, I guess.

jden092901
11/06/2007, 04:04 PM
For your Nitrates, does frozen food help keep it down more then flake food? Like what you said... mysis, Formula 1, and Cyclop-Eeze?

bertoni
11/06/2007, 04:07 PM
I don't think frozen vs dry makes a difference. I've heard people claim vehemently that frozen is better than dry, and vice versa.

For the mysid shrimp, if they're whole, rinsing off the brine in which they're frozen might help a tiny bit.

UTTAngel
11/06/2007, 05:27 PM
One of the first fish I had was a scooter dragonet.. the fish store told me it was a lawnmower blenny and I didn't know any better at the time.. watch him carefully, they tend to stop eating all together and just waste away slowly... I had tried flakes and brine shrimp, he didn't eat much of either but he would play with the food.. I didn't notice that he was not eating until it was too late :( Hope you have better luck than I did. They are really cool fish.

GoingPostal
11/06/2007, 07:13 PM
Scooter blennies are scooter dragonets btw and you probably have no pods left with your sixline in there, if you can't get him eating mysis within a few days you need to return him or find a better home. Try starting out with brine and then mix with mysis, I hear PE mysis is smaller and easier to eat, soak in selcon and garlic to get him interested.

Sk8r
11/06/2007, 09:10 PM
Scooters are better than mandarins at figuring out dry food. My advice would be Formula One Sinking Pellet [smallest grade], which will fall to the bottom where he can find it. Mysis, maybe: that's what my mandarin started with, then went to the pellet...but the bad news is it took her 2 years to figure it out. As aforesaid, scooters take to dry food better than mandys do, and might be tempted by its motion as it blows about.

If you do not observe him eating within a week, put him in a fuge with a LOT of cheato, and feed him up. Cheatomorpha almost always has a lot of pods on it, and if you buy a big ball, you can almost certainly get pods for him to eat. Ask on RC about setting up a fuge that can feed him permanently: pods CAN get through a return pump.

demonsp
11/06/2007, 09:16 PM
My scooter only eats pods. And with no fuge or refugium then he will die unless he eats other sources which is unlikely. Take him back and if you want one then invest in a fuge and wait a few months before you add it.
He will clean that 30 gallon dry fast. And pods are good for the LR and the health of your system.

JoeMomma
11/07/2007, 07:58 AM
I had one in my 33 a while back. It would only eat frozen brine and since there wasn't too many pods in the tank it slowly starved to death. I hope you have better luck with yours.