PDA

View Full Version : more than 2 nems in a 29gallon sps tank

brandon7491
11/06/2007, 07:36 PM
sup eeveryone i have a question. on another thread i said that i have 2 nems. a 5" beautiful rbta and a beautiful slightly bleached(bought it that way but is making progress rapidly) sebae. i got flamed for having more than 1 nem in a 29gallon tank. idk what the prob is i mean they are literally no where near eachother. the rbta is in the crevas of a rock and comes out in the mornings and the sebae is on the bottom of the tank with a whole area by its self and has room to grow. i have a 150watt oceanic aquamedic mh with a 10k doubleened hqi bulb. i have an aquac remora pro protien skimmer. my params are perfect and they need to be for the sps, i have 1100gph of flow. so what is the big deal? i mean if they grow i have another tank ready to be set up or i can just sell the clones. n e ways i want to get a beautiful neon green bubble tip anemone and i have room for it. do u think this will become a problem? thxs everyone

unbreakable
11/06/2007, 07:51 PM
you have two different species of anemones where they can both outgrow the tank and also kill each other. i would stop looking into sps now because of the anemones. youll just have an anemone walk across your sps one day and kill them all or just simply outgrow the room and kill the sps around it. are you running carbon?

cartman5579
11/06/2007, 07:51 PM
i'm going to get flamed for saying this, but...

Do whatever floats your boat. I mean if the two you already have are doing well, and you have "room" for another one, than do what you want. Everyone has different experiences than everyone else. But, by saying that i don't think you should let anything die because of what you want, but i wouldn't say you can't try it. If they thrive, than great for you, but if they don't take whatever you have to out of the tank and trade it in or sell it instead of letting it die. And like you said, you have another tank to set up if they get bigger. Have fun with the hobby, just don't let things die do to the fact that you wanted it in there.

brandon7491
11/06/2007, 08:11 PM
o yea yea i agree 110% im 16 and u no i like to try new things instead of go by the book. i would never ever let anything die just for my selfish pleasure of looking at it. i have enough faith that the nems will stay in their places but hey they could move and kill everything. this hobby is full of risks as we all know nd we should all try new things. so i do think i will get a neon green bta and c what happens. yes i am running carbon

Reefynewby
11/06/2007, 08:32 PM
:eek2: THE HORROR! THE INDIGNITY OF IT ALL! well... it's not like i can do anything to stop you... but it's definitely not in your and the animals' best interests. they are both going to grow, and are quite possible waging chemical warfare. I just hope you won't go and buy more when 1 dies... It's your decision, but it's quite like keeping a rottweiler and a chihuahua in the same pen, locked together, as the sebae has a much more potent sting than the RBTA. It's your choice though and there's nothing we can do at this point to stop you. best of luck to your tank.:confused:

brandon7491
11/06/2007, 09:15 PM
i understand your concern. but they are literally no where near each other what so ever. they are in 2 seperate totally diffrent parts of the tank. ill snap a shot of where they are.

brandon7491
11/06/2007, 09:34 PM
here are some links to the pics of my tank to give u an idea where everything is posistioned. keep in mind that the sebae was bleached when i got it but is gaining progress with feedings and proper water conditions.

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z308/brandon2096/?action=view&current=fishpictures149.jpg
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z308/brandon2096/?action=view&current=fishpictures151.jpg
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z308/brandon2096/?action=view&current=fishpictures148.jpg
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z308/brandon2096/?action=view&current=fishpictures150.jpg
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z308/brandon2096/?action=view&current=fishpictures147.jpg
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z308/brandon2096/?action=view&current=fishpictures146.jpg
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z308/brandon2096/?action=view&current=fishpictures145.jpg
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z308/brandon2096/?action=view&current=fishpictures144.jpg

brandon7491
11/06/2007, 09:36 PM
also plz forgive the cyano algea have cleaned it out today when i got home

Reefynewby
11/06/2007, 10:03 PM
your sebae looks bleached...

its up to you.. but IMO i'd avoid the neon green and focus on keeping what you already have alive.

brandon7491
11/06/2007, 10:07 PM
i no the sebae looks bleach i stated in almost all my sentences taht i bougth it that way and it is making a steady come back with feedings and proper lighting/water conditions

Reefynewby
11/06/2007, 10:14 PM
my bad i was kinda skimming, but your RBTA looks great. How often are you feeding your nems? you should get some nice clowns =)

brandon7491
11/06/2007, 10:19 PM
np man i do the exact same thing. n e ways i feed my nems around twice a week. with the sebae i am feeding around 3 times a week to try and get its old color back. i would love to get a nice pair of clowns but my tanks fish list has 3 domino damsels and 3 yellow tail damsels. i would hate to c my dumb damsels tear up the clowns. also what is kinda funny to watch and didnt know until a couple days ago that the domino damsels will actually host the rbta. its kinda kool. ill walk in nd jsut c all 3 of them chillin in it.

Slakker
11/06/2007, 10:57 PM
Don't get another anemone. Get rid of one of the ones you do have. Both E. Quad and H. Crispa can reach sizes of two feet in diameter, which is not something your tank can support.

Be responsible.

Reefynewby
11/06/2007, 11:04 PM
well... uh... um... RIGHT!!! i agree, just not in such harsh language?:rollface: you can always give one to me. I'm open to freebies. (if not im sure your lfs will be willing to buy one)

E.J. Coral
11/07/2007, 01:54 AM
If the sebae were healthy, I would say give it a try , BUT the sebae may take a turn for the worse and not be able to recover... Get the Sebae healthier and THEN experiment...

Nice tank BTW. I wish i could learn how to keep SPS....

brandon7491
11/07/2007, 08:07 AM
slakker when that time comes when they reach 2ft then its simple what i do which is buy a biggger tank. the colors and anemone are thriving not just surviving. i agree with u e.j. nd thats what i will do. i do have great news though the sebae was expelling wastes last night so that means i know its taking the food i give it and actually getting nutrience from it. it was nice and extended last night. u no e.j i really dont like sps too much to tell u the truth. too much of a pain in the neack and alot of worrying,almost makes the tank more of a job than a pleaure. i will stick with the sps i have but from now on i will just buy lps and softies.

Subliminal
11/07/2007, 10:17 AM
Several things.

First, if you go to your album on photobucket and copy the bottom link (with the IMG tags), your pictures will show up in the thread, rather than us having to actually click on them and navigate your photo albums.

That being said, your RBTA looks TINY right now. My BTA just recently split, but the two of them take up approx 1/4 of my 29g tank right now and they're less than 6 months old.

I'd say don't do it...just asking for trouble...but, you're 16, so you probably like trouble...

kids these days. ;)

E.J. Coral
11/07/2007, 01:49 PM
Got a picture of that 2' BTA. I would love to see it! My friend has an 18" specimen that never split, but most of the specimens in the hobby are splitters and stay relatively small. A 29 will support a BTA, I have no doubt in my mind .... but in that tank there will be some dead SPS if EITHER of those anemones thrive, IMO.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11132854#post11132854 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
Don't get another anemone. Get rid of one of the ones you do have. Both E. Quad and H. Crispa can reach sizes of two feet in diameter, which is not something your tank can support.

Be responsible.

Subliminal
11/07/2007, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11135949#post11135949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E.J. Coral
Got a picture of that 2' BTA. I would love to see it! My friend has an 18" specimen that never split, but most of the specimens in the hobby are splitters and stay relatively small. A 29 will support a BTA, I have no doubt in my mind .... but in that tank there will be some dead SPS if EITHER of those anemones thrive, IMO.

The OP said he currently has a RBTA and a Sebae and wants another BTA.

brandon7491
11/07/2007, 05:11 PM
na i dont like trouble i just like to experiment. if things get out of hand then i will move it to another tank asap no doubt. but i would never experiment with a tang in a 29 lol or n e thing like that. i will though try the bright neon green bubble time anemone nd if things go down its a relitively easy fix. im just trying to find out my on my own what works and what dosent.

Slakker
11/07/2007, 06:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11137230#post11137230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brandon7491
...but i would never experiment with a tang in a 29...

I fail to see the difference.

brandon7491
11/07/2007, 06:21 PM
haha how can u not c the difference a tang needs room to swim and actually thrive. yet with an anemone they just need stable conditioins,enough room to open,proper food. its not like a an anemone is going to swim 6' a day unlike a fish. so there is your difference

Slakker
11/07/2007, 06:34 PM
There is no difference...in both cases it's housing a creature in an environment that is less than suitable.

Same crap, different pile.

GSMguy
11/07/2007, 06:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11137665#post11137665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
There is no difference...in both cases it's housing a creature in an environment that is less than suitable.

Same crap, different pile.

+1

E.J. Coral
11/07/2007, 07:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11137479#post11137479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
I fail to see the difference.

There is a huge difference. Firstly, fish are higher organisms with the potential to feel pain and suffering. Secondly, many of us who have actually kept anemones, know that a 29 is sufficient for a BTA.

Slakker, have you ever even kept an anemone of any type?

brandon7491
11/07/2007, 08:47 PM
less than suitable u say? do u really think in the ocean anemones move miles a day? if that were the case anemones would be extinct. usually in the wild an anemone finds a place with high flow,light and able to get food. my reef supplies all of that and is very stable. let me ask u one more thing do u even think that more than one nem could be kept in a 55,60,65,72,100,120 ect... one other quick thing, this is just like the big discussion about keeping sps with softies due to their potential chemical warfare. everyone thinks taht a tank is gonnna crash if u have that mix when they did not because people learned,tried,reasearched. its all a big trial and error. but i do believe u can keep more than one nem in a tank. nd i am planning on doing so. like i have been stating mindlessly if things go wrong then i will immediatily pull out the anemone nd put it in the other tank.

Slakker
11/07/2007, 09:05 PM
Move the anemone to another tank, thereby creating more stress for the anemone and potentially pounding the nail in the coffin.
You make your point as if you're the first person to ever try this. There's a reason people are giving you the advice you're getting, we've seen the failures in other tanks, we've read the research (Yes, people do ACTUAL research about things like this.)

I never said anything about movement. My point is not that anemones travel large distances, though I'm not sure how on earth would you know that they don't move. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, I haven't done any research on it myself, but I'll bet you didn't either.
ONE anemone capable of reaching 24 inches in diameter should be in a tank that is more than 12.5 inches wide, and two anemones that can potentially reach that size really need more space.

I absolutely think that multiple anemones can be kept in larger tanks, but yours just isn't sufficient to support them. Since you're trying to pull the "ocean" card here, do you really think your 29 gallons of aquarium is as stable as the 3.612 x 10²º (give or take) gallons of the ocean?

cartman5579
11/07/2007, 09:06 PM
Brandon, i'll tell you what, and i'm the one who said do it remember....

your tank IS large enough to have both the nems you have and the green one if you wanted. But, what i didn't understand was that your tank is FULL of SPS. And it really doesn't matter if its SPS or other coral, those nems you have will only have to get a LITTLE bigger, or move just a hair and they will kill something. Looking at your tank i don't think i'd feel safe putting in one anemone, let alone 3. You have your work cut out for you thats for sure. With moving coral all the time so that they don't get stung. I know cause i've had to do it. If you like nems so much, just do what i did. Take everything out of your tank except the LR and aquascape something especially for a anemone tank. I'm more than happy with my decision. My tank is a 60 cube that houses 2 large True Indo Rose Anemone's (added another today!!!), and a GTBA. And i have a red haddoni on order. And I actually hope that they get terribly big and consume my tank. At least my clowns will be happy. There the best. Good luck with whatever you do.

brandon7491
11/07/2007, 09:17 PM
thankyou slakker and cartman5579 for all your advice and help on this matter i really do appreciate having this dicussion and your inputs. i will think more and do more research before i dive head first into this. so thxs again to all who have put their input in this thread.

cartman5579
11/07/2007, 09:24 PM
slakker - haven't you seen tanks on rc ( i know i have, so i would assume you have as well) that are just consumed with multiple nems, and sometimes multiple species of nems. And i've seen it don't very successfully also. You say capable of reaching 24" but if you ever go on wetweb it specifically states that one in captivity will never really reach close to that size, although there are few exceptions.

And why assume he's not doing research,... isn't he doing research by being on here and asking for opinions? I just don't understand why you are such a critic in every thread i see you in. I'd prefer you to post your pics, i recall you being called out on your critisism before and them showing pics of your current tank... that made you shut up.

brandon7491
11/07/2007, 09:31 PM
hey cartman can u post a pic of ur cube if u have any time?

E.J. Coral
11/07/2007, 09:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11138772#post11138772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
Move the anemone to another tank, thereby creating more stress for the anemone and potentially pounding the nail in the coffin.
You make your point as if you're the first person to ever try this. There's a reason people are giving you the advice you're getting, we've seen the failures in other tanks, we've read the research (Yes, people do ACTUAL research about things like this.)

I never said anything about movement. My point is not that anemones travel large distances, though I'm not sure how on earth would you know that they don't move. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, I haven't done any research on it myself, but I'll bet you didn't either.
ONE anemone capable of reaching 24 inches in diameter should be in a tank that is more than 12.5 inches wide, and two anemones that can potentially reach that size really need more space.

I absolutely think that multiple anemones can be kept in larger tanks, but yours just isn't sufficient to support them. Since you're trying to pull the "ocean" card here, do you really think your 29 gallons of aquarium is as stable as the 3.612 x 10²º (give or take) gallons of the ocean?

I still want to see a 24" BTA and to hear about what anemones that you have kept ....

brandon7491
11/07/2007, 09:49 PM
i was never invoking the quote on quote "ocean card" its impossibel for the biggest aquariams in the world to maitan the stableness of the ocean. have u ever kept an anemone or anything else besides xenia and frog spawn? can u even back up what ur talking about with experience or trial and error? im not trying to be rude here im just kinda suprised at the agressivness you are giving off. i would though love to c 1 rbta that has gotten to 24"in captivity and wonder how long it took to get there. probably years and years.

cartman5579
11/07/2007, 09:55 PM
Sure, but its a work in progress,....

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u281/5579cartman/IMG_0886.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u281/5579cartman/IMG_0888.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u281/5579cartman/IMG_0889.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u281/5579cartman/IMG_0894.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u281/5579cartman/IMG_0893.jpg

Slakker
11/07/2007, 09:59 PM
I don't really think my funding, or lack thereof, is any indication of the merit of what I'm saying. Tuition isn't cheap, you know, and things like food and books happen to have priority.

I have absolutely seen those tanks, however, most, if not all (that I recall, anyways) that have success in the long term are larger than 29 gallons. As you said, there are exceptions, but that doesn't mean that the exception should be attempted as common practice.

You're talking about your tank, a 60 cube with three (or is it 4?) E. Quadricolor...more than twice the water volume, much more favorable dimensions, and one species of anemone. In my mind, that doesn't make you any more qualified to dispense advice than you say I am. It's pretty well documented that E. Quad will coexist with others of the same species peaceably.

However, the same can't necessarily be said for E. Quad and H. Crispa. In my opinion, it's risky to keep two anemones of differing species in a tank that size. It's plausible that both anemones could grow to such a large size that they'll be touching not only corals, but each other, and that's just as dangerous to the anemones as it would be to corals. Not only that, but the chances of allelopathy are still there, and with one anemone in there already being in rough shape, the odds just get worse by adding yet another one for it to have to contend with.

I wasn't questioning Brandon's research in general. I commend him for asking questions, however, I really think it's safe to assume that neither he nor I have done much research on how much an anemone travels in the wild. I'm not sure anyone has, actually.

You can try to make this a measuring match if you'd like. You win, you've got a nicer tank than me. I don't care if you have a 3,000 gallon system with 500 anemones in it...misinformation is misinformation, and misinformation leads to failures, which leads to people leaving the hobby, and that's not good for anyone.

cartman5579
11/07/2007, 10:07 PM
i'm not saying my tank is nice at all, i don't show my tank cause i hope people think its nice. I show it because I think its nice and i want to show off what i'm doing. With that being said i never said i have a better tank than you. Beauty and sometimes success are in the eye of the beholder. I will continue to try things in my tank that probably shouldn't be done, but i like trying it, and if it fails, than it fails. I have yet to have anything die (with the exception of fish from ich) in my tank due to me having two things together that shouldn't be together. Anyways, i'm not giving him information that i believe to be a perfect answer...i'm just telling him what i have seen and done myself. I had a pair of percs and a pair of pink skunks in this same tank and they loved eachother. That shouldn't be done either but it worked for me. Somethings work for some people that don't work for others.

Slakker
11/07/2007, 10:40 PM
Absolutely, but you have to admit that your 60 cube is much better suited for multiple species of anemone than a standard 29 gallon tank is.

Multiple species absolutely can be done, has been done, but probably shouldn't be done in such a small tank. That's my point, and I think it's a perfectly valid one. Brandon is doing more research before he moves forward, and that's enough for me.

I hate to see creatures collected from the wild lose their lives unnecessarily just because someone wants to experiment. The creatures we keep have just as much a right to live as any of us do, so in my opinion, if you want more than one species of anemone in your aquarium, you should do everything you can to provide a suitable environment for those anemones.

With the coral reefs in danger, why take unnecessary risks with anemones when there are plenty of people with experience that can be used as a guide to success?

Reefynewby
11/07/2007, 11:07 PM
sigh*sigh*sigh*
WHY must fellow reefers turn into anemones. Brandon, THINK before you speak. You came into this thread fully expecting the flame and ASKING for advice. What WE gave you is perfectly SUITABLE ADVICE. Don't come unless you want our 2C. The only thing that makes sense now is to upsize immediately, because anyone here on RC knows we all say "ooh ooh i'm gonna upsize in the near future" and it ends up being years away or never at all. and your second option is to get rid of an anemone to a more suitable keeper. I have a crispa and a neon green BTA in my *60* and i'm struggling to keep things stable, and this is w/out the addition of any sps. For someone like you juggling high school, "girls", high school, reefing, and high school, you prbly don't need any extra difficulty. In all of our opinions it's quite obvious that we recommend you leave the ocean as it is, and not kill an anemone, and likely your whole tank. Read the thread about sea apples. Dead things, frankly, are not a pretty site, especially w/ your sps. You and your family can have a tankful of dead $$$ in less than a day. So just remember to think about anything you do before fighting and arguing with people who have done much much more research and are only trying to help you.

AND btw, i'd suggest you not mess w/ slakker. AS i've seen him around quite a lot i'm quite sure he knows much much much! about reefing. Most likely (unless you're a marine biologist etc.) he knows more than you, and even possibly in that case.

So as i have repeated over and over, think before you speak, and ESPECIALLY, purchase.:mad2:

cartman5579
11/07/2007, 11:12 PM
Ahhhh, now wasn't that a breath of fresh air.

Can we all just go on peacefully now?

Reefynewby
11/07/2007, 11:15 PM
RAWR!!!
if we must, but remember, everything you do influences life on earth, and what your children grandchildren, and great grandchildren will see. This may end up a world w/out any anemones, but its all up to you... so make wise decisions, and as little children may say,

use your noodle.

brandon7491
11/08/2007, 08:17 AM
.... taht is a little bit to the extreme reefnewby taht they might end up without anemones.. i was never intending the argument or n e thing of that kind of measure. i have thanked slakker numerous times for his input on this matter. but u say the reefs are endanger, then y are we even doing this hobby? we should dump our coral,fish,invers,ect back into the ocean. u are jsut as guilty as me for keeping any marine animal if our reefs are endanger. obviously they are not that endanger because we are keeping them in glass boxes.

Slakker
11/08/2007, 08:37 PM
Brandon,
Our reefs are in danger. Our whole ecosystem is in danger. Those are the facts. I'm not going to go in depth on this, but there has been some research in the past couple of years revealing that many of the reefs around the world have had a decline in growth and overall health.

Whether you believe in global warming or not, the oceans are getting warmer, and the higher temperatures are causing corals to bleach in many of our reefs. This site has a very simple glance at some of what is endangering the world's reefs, broken down location by location: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/blue-planet/map/map.html

Look, I'm not saying you're a bad person for keeping a reef tank. That's ridiculous. This hobby has actually led to a lot of discoveries that have been helpful in conservation efforts. What I am saying is, why take a long shot trying something that has been previously unsuccessful when you could do it right the first time? At 16, I didn't think much about the future either, but the sad truth is, it doesn't look great for our coral reefs.

I will say that my fish are captive bred and my corals are all fragged off of already captive colonies, so my tank is fairly low impact as far as that goes.

Toddrtrex
11/08/2007, 10:00 PM
Couple of things,

I would not keep a BTA ( of any color ) in an SPS tank, I am in the process of removing my BTAs from my tank --- they will sting and kill SPS. And they will move when you least expect it and/or clone and the clone will move.

You say that your water parameters are perfect, I would like to see the actual numbers, please.

I noticed film on the top of your water in one of the pictures, might want to point a powerhead towards the surface to break it up, or get one of those skimmer boxes for your skimmer.

Now, for getting a 3rd anemone for that tank, I personally think that is not the best idea. There is chance that there is some chemical warfare going on b/t the sebea and the BTA right now, think it would be a bad idea to add to the stress that the sebea is currently under.

Anemones add to the bioload to a tank, and with the amount that you are feeding yours I see water quality issues in the future, and some will be hard to test for -- DOCs come to mind.

The sebea will get too large for a 29 -- years ago I had one that was over 18" across, took up a third of my 75.

Now, if you have your mind set on getting the 3rd one, at least wait until the sebea is healthy.

brandon7491
11/08/2007, 11:11 PM
salinity 1.025,phos-0,nitrate-0,nitrite-0, ph 8.2,ca 415,alk 10.5,magnesium 1350,amonia-0. i have decieded on not getting a 3rd anemone i will continue to stock my tank with zoos and save up for a geo calcium reactor. tomorrow i will get a tunze nano stream and point a maxi jet at the top of the water to get the film off. thankyou for all ur advices

brandon7491
11/08/2007, 11:16 PM
also will a nem sting and kill a soft coral or can the both co exsist?

cartman5579
11/08/2007, 11:18 PM
brandon, you took all of that like a champ... i'm so proud of you! ... some of these guys can really beat you up.

Slakker
11/08/2007, 11:24 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. When stocking with zoos and the like, be mindful of the anemones and try to give them a buffer zone to avoid any stinging battles. (I'm sure you know that.)

Pointing the powerhead at the top of the water will help some, but another thing that can really help is skimming from the top when you do a water change. To do this I use a cup held just barely below the surface so that the top water and the surface film flows into the cup to be discarded. I've also used a paper towel to absorb it. Seems to work pretty good...for a couple days, anyways...lol

Toddrtrex
11/08/2007, 11:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11146578#post11146578 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brandon7491
also will a nem sting and kill a soft coral or can the both co exsist?

Take this the right way, that is too general of a question. And what I mean by that, is that it depends on both the anemone type and the soft coral type. So, if you have specific ones in mind, that would help. I can assume the either your Sebea or your BTA, but what type of soft coral.

I can only speak for my experiences, most times the anemone will sting/kill the soft coral. Though I do remember a time when my BTA was affected by a soft coral. I wish I could remember the soft coral, but it was years ago and my memory isn't as great as it used to by.

And BTW, good choice on holding off on the anemone.

When I mentioned getting a surface skimmer box for your skimmer I was referring to this (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQUAC-RSSPMG&Category_Code=AquaC)

NOTE---- check this whole page (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=AquaC) since I don't know which pump you have with it, about half way down the page.

Reefynewby
11/08/2007, 11:49 PM
ah... JOY to the world, and feel proud of yourself. Go buy yourself an icy cold one, and enjoy. Anemones will - in general, sting and most likely kill anything they can touch over time - so it's a good mind to give them plenty of space to near corals. especially sps

Slakker
11/08/2007, 11:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11146731#post11146731 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefynewby
Go buy yourself an icy cold one, and enjoy.

A cold juice box, you mean? Maybe some milk? ;)

Reefynewby
11/09/2007, 01:14 AM
oh my bad, you're right slakker. I have some caprisun's here for you if ya want brandon?

brandon7491
11/09/2007, 08:26 AM
i also have good news, today at 6:45 my buddy came over and picked up the sebae anemone. he has a 215gallon tank with mh's and good water conditions. ehh na not caprisun but some juicy juice. n e ways im going to a lfs today ima leave school around 145 and skip my 8th period class. probably gonna get some clams to fill in the space where the sebae was

Reefynewby
11/09/2007, 08:33 PM
-.-"

i HOPE you've done your research about clams. Just remember, they're difficult to keep, and belong in the sand bed...:rolleye1:

cartman5579
11/10/2007, 12:09 AM
maximas do not belong in the sand bed!

brandon7491
11/10/2007, 02:01 PM
neither do croceas =-)

Slakker
11/11/2007, 12:17 AM
Did you end up getting a clam? Any pics?

I'm glad to hear that the Sebae went to a new home. Sounds like a good arrangement for both your tank inhabitants and the Sebae. Now that BTA has a little more room to grow without competition from that other anemone.

I haven't done as much research on clams as I have anemones, but I do know that they're very cool creatures. Best of luck with it.

brandon7491
11/11/2007, 09:36 AM
today i go get one at my lfs

Toygrr
12/30/2007, 08:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11131451#post11131451 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cartman5579
i'm going to get flamed for saying this, but...

Do whatever floats your boat. I mean if the two you already have are doing well, and you have "room" for another one, than do what you want. Everyone has different experiences than everyone else. But, by saying that i don't think you should let anything die because of what you want, but i wouldn't say you can't try it. If they thrive, than great for you, but if they don't take whatever you have to out of the tank and trade it in or sell it instead of letting it die. And like you said, you have another tank to set up if they get bigger. Have fun with the hobby, just don't let things die do to the fact that you wanted it in there. FFFFFLLLAAAAAMMMMEEEEEEE :):)