PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates

mfair
11/07/2007, 02:38 PM
I am changing my 55 gallon tank from a FOWLR to a reef tank slowly. Thanks to all of the awesome tanks I have seen on here I will go broke and get divorced. Anyway, A buddy told me to lose my cannister filter that it is not allowing me to rid my tank of the nitrates. I am showing between 20ppm-40ppm. I do have a protein skimmer and about 100lbs of live rock and i have live sand. Is that going to be ok? I want to house mushrooms and polyps and other hardy corals to start. Also can you suggest some hardy corals for me to start with!!! You all are the best!!

God of thunder
11/07/2007, 03:08 PM
Í would try to lower the nitrate. especially if your planing to add LPS or SPS later. You could get a some leathercorals or mushroom. Some Zoas might be ccol too. Leatherwise you could go for a colt coral, kenya tree, finger leather or a toadstool, i´ve had all of them at some point and they are all very hardy. But i recomend lower nitrate first by doing a 20% water change every 2 weeks first.

bertoni
11/07/2007, 03:10 PM
:lol: Don't worry, the single life isn't horrible. :)

Often, canister filters with the artificial biological media in them seem to increase the nitrate level. I'd probably remove the media slowly, assuming there's enough live rock in the tank to handle the fish load.

Most zooxanthellate soft corals are quite easy to grow, and can be a good place to start. That level of nitrate will not cause a problem with soft corals. I'd worry more about stony corals.

JamesJR
11/07/2007, 06:53 PM
[welcome]

I would agree. I would not run the canister filter continuously myself as they can be real nitrate factories. I would keep it and run lots of carbon between water changes though.

sruiz
11/07/2007, 11:04 PM
Bertoni tells it like it is. I have read many articles about canister filters and come to believe they are junk. YOu could try adding some mangroves. I used to have some in my 55 display, at first i did not like how it looked, but after a while and after watching them grow it was kind of cool and different.

Billybeau1
11/07/2007, 11:11 PM
Canister filters have a place in our hobby.

I run carbon and GFO in my canister filter. Keeps my PO4 low and the water clear.

I change the media and clean the canister once every 4 to 6 weeks.

Works for me. :)

tmz
11/07/2007, 11:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11139926#post11139926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Canister filters have a place in our hobby.

I run carbon and GFO in my canister filter. Keeps my PO4 low and the water clear.

I change the media and clean the canister once every 4 to 6 weeks.

Works for me. :) I also use my canister filter for carbon, polypad and as a prefilter and closed loop pump for a uv sterilizer. I don't use any ceramic media and clean the canister every 10days.

mfair
11/08/2007, 06:54 AM
Thanks everyone!! Always a big help!! Once I get this all under control and get some new life in my tank I will post some pics!! Thanks again!

bertoni
11/08/2007, 03:03 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!