PDA

View Full Version : Pick my next fish!!!

bj32482
11/07/2007, 05:30 PM
I have had a disappointing day... I had to return a fish that I purchased last week due to my yellow tang tormenting him.
With that said, what fish should I try next?

The fish that was returned was a chocolate tang...
The tank is a 180g bare bottom with soft coral and mushrooms/rics

Currently I have a canary blenny, pygmy angel, a single clown fish(percula), and a yellow tang.

What should I try next???

BangkokMatt
11/07/2007, 05:47 PM
Another very small percula. They look so much better in pairs.

_FishFreak_724
11/07/2007, 05:56 PM
How about a small school of anthias ???

XRay Guy
11/07/2007, 06:56 PM
Maybe a large angel, Imperator or queen?

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/07/2007, 07:04 PM
How about a pair of Bluejaw Triggers? I think they'd add a lot of personality and activity to your tank.

Or, you could try another tang. Get a larger one than the Yellow, this will reduce aggression. If the Yellow still attacks him, try the mirror trick. I've heard this works quite well.

Good luck!

yoboyjdizz
11/07/2007, 07:04 PM
Whatever fish you add you might want to think about removing the yellow tang if you can to allow your new fish to settle in.

xxtriggermanxx
11/07/2007, 07:07 PM
First you should go back to the store With the yellow tang .tell them you made a mistake you ment to bring him back so please give me back my mimic! then while your at it how about a fairy wrasse of some sort?

bj32482
11/07/2007, 09:29 PM
tried the mirror trick...no luck, tried re-arranging rock too,
Getting rid of the yellow is not an option because the wife loves him, I do plan to get another small percula...

How do the bluejaws do with snails and crabs?
I was also thinking about a flame hawk...

oh and please don't tempt me on a queen angel, that is the fish that got me into salt although I wouldn't feel comfortable having one in less than a 300g tank

DamnPepShrimp
11/07/2007, 09:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11137903#post11137903 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoboyjdizz
Whatever fish you add you might want to think about removing the yellow tang if you can to allow your new fish to settle in.

I agree, the yellow is only mostlikely going to bother any new tank mates. I have a blue jaw trigger and I never see him pick at any hermits or snails, although I think he killed my lawnmower blenny that I just added, probably felt threated to his territory. About the queen, I am glad you feel your tank isn't big enough, for a full grown at least. I had a baby juvi 3.5" in a 125g and gave her to a bigger home because I felt she needed it, along with my 4.5" emperor and 6" gray. You could always get a juvi and then upgrade with the fish, I am sure your wife will understand:D

jasert39
11/07/2007, 11:05 PM
flamehawks are cool fish, mine jumped do you have a lid or canopy?

bj32482
11/08/2007, 06:27 AM
I have an amazingly tight canopy, it was built so that light from the mh would not escape into the room.
I am going to try a new clown within the next few weeks and see how the yellow tang does with that...
afterwards I am thinking of a flame hawk and most likely one or two other fish, probably a bluejaw and maybe a swallowtail angel.

InLimbo87
11/08/2007, 06:55 AM
How established is the tank? Do you have a refugium? If your pod supply can handle it, a pair of mandarins would be really cool as well.

snorvich
11/08/2007, 08:51 AM
A pair of mandarins IS cool but getting a female is not so easy and two males will not get along together. But, if you can find them, and there is sufficient live rock, they will mate for you under appropriate circumstances.

LisaD
11/08/2007, 09:02 AM
Why would getting a female mandarin be hard? You can select from the smaller sized ones (almost all of the really big ones offered in stores are males). Look for one that does not have an extended ray on the dorsal fin. I find males and females very easy to tell apart.

BTW, I think you could possibly get another tang, but not one that looks like the yellow (i.e., not one with a lot of yellow on it). Mimic tangs are my favorite, I would have put my foot down and got rid of the yellow tang.

How important are your inverts to you? A really spectacular and nicely active fish, which is surprisingly docile, is the Australian harlequin tuskfish. Mine never bothered my clowns or royal gramma, even though it was about 8 inches long. I know a tusk would not be safe with shrimp, and it would probably eat hermit crabs.

For reasonable sized angels that would be safe with all your corals, consider Genicanthus species. LaMarck angels are really hardy, and pretty reasonably priced. There are other good choices as well. These can be paired and would add some nice activity to your tank. Also, IME, they aren't as aggressive as the Pomacanthus and Holocanthus angels.

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/08/2007, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11138958#post11138958 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bj32482
How do the bluejaws do with snails and crabs?

I think it all depends on the fish. Some will tear them to shreds, others won't even notice them.