PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Blown 346
11/09/2007, 06:19 AM
I just got my 125 set back up, I was looking to get a sting ray but my tank isnt large enough. I thought about getting a eel, and only an eel alone for the tank.

Now Im thinking I might get bored with just an eel that lays around most of the day and doesnt do much, plus there escape artist ways would worry me.

I am going to have this tank be a FO tank. What would you do?

What fish would you recommend that wont out grow the tank and would be neat to have?

cd77
11/09/2007, 06:33 AM
How about a Volitan Lionfish, or maybe a Niger Trigger?

Blown 346
11/09/2007, 06:40 AM
I have had both of those guys before, they are cool, but Im looking for more rare type's of fish.

I want something that is differnt to keep, that you dont see everyday.

cd77
11/09/2007, 06:45 AM
Hmm.. How about Scorpion fish, or maybe cephalopods or seahorses?

S. verrucosa isn't one I've ever seen in a tank ;)

KDodds
11/09/2007, 07:21 AM
A 125 for Seahorses? Man, that would be some tank, but you'd need to keep a fairly large, mobile species like H. kuda and get only those already accepting frozen mysids. Food concentrations, no matter how you fed, would be REALLY low in a 125.

I'd vote for a deep-water tank. You're taking a risk on individual specimens, though. A lot of the deep water species coming in (probably because of the increased demand, and increased ability to reach them) appear to, IMO, not have been handled properly during collection (decompressed). This would open up a whole new world for a lot of people, Spanish Flag, deep Anthias, etc.

Of course, with rarely available species, you're also talking large price tags of hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars for an individual fish.

So, if a deep tank doesn't "float your boat", have you considered some commonly available, but rarely kept, species? The Thalassoma Wrasses immediately spring to mind, maybe a tank centered around T. quinquevittatum? A FO or FOWLR doesn't have to be a "predatory" tank. Tobies and smaller Files, larger Dottybacks, moderately aggressive Damsels, Spinecheeks, and maybe a Soldier or Squirrelfish would make nice tankmates and produce a pretty unique FO/FOWLR.

plyr58
11/09/2007, 09:11 AM
You could do a large 8-10" Angler. It is unusual to see one so large and people who have never seen one up close are always mesmerized. They come over and I take them to my 90 that he is in and say, find the fish on the bottom. It can keep kids busy for 40 minutes. Also, watching them feed is one of the most interesting things in the hobby.

plyr58
11/09/2007, 09:12 AM
Or a wobbegong... if you are wiling to buy a 1,000 tank in a few years. But you could say, "hey, I've got a wobbegong." Who doesn't want to be able to say that?

KDodds
11/09/2007, 09:27 AM
A 10', a Wobbegong really would be out of the question in anything but a full-blown shark pond. ;)

plyr58
11/09/2007, 09:28 AM
I know, I know. Wobbegong is just fun to say though.

wizzbane15
11/09/2007, 09:37 AM
decent size angler are pretty neat and you don't see them regurally. Or maybe a scorpionfish or popeye sea goblin. That's almost as fun to say as wobblegong.

If you are going to do fish only, how about a big angel or trigger? There are some rare triggers you can get there are really cool.