PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about setting up a frag tank....

Dwarf Seahorses
11/09/2007, 07:30 AM
I'm thinking about setting up a frag tank around 50 gallons. This would be mostly for pleasure but for some profit as well. I'm thinking of making an acrylic tank measuring 48"x18"x12". I'll use T5's and some tunze nanos for flow.

Questions:
1.) What type of filtration should I use? I'll be using zeovit (keep it friendly guys) and obviously a skimmer. How large of a skimmer and do I need LR?
2.) Would a tank this short make it difficult for propagation?
3.) How many T5's?
4.) Would it be beneficial to feed oyster eggs to increase growth?

Thanks!

skeeter-doc
11/09/2007, 09:48 AM
I would certainly use live rock, maybe only in the sump though, ...

a tank that short is perfect for propping in, ...

you could perhaps use 4 or 5 t5 bulbs with individual reflectors, ...

feeding is always beneficial!

Dwarf Seahorses
11/09/2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks!

How much LR do you think I would need? Same as a similarly sized reef or less?

skeeter-doc
11/09/2007, 07:02 PM
probably less if you will be without any fish, ...

LockeOak
11/09/2007, 11:04 PM
Hi, I'm in a similar situation. The measurements you give are very similar to a standard 55G glass tank. They seem to be one of the most common models around, so if you want to save some time and maybe money (unless you happen to have a lot of acrylic lying around) you could probably acquire one pretty easily. I plan on setting one up myself over the next couple of months. My plan was a 5-bulb aquactinic T5 system with individual reflectors with a Koralia 4 on each end, plus a sump with skimmer. I don't know what skimmer, will probably purchase used. Since I don't have the money to put the whole system together at once I'll probably buy dry base rock and let it cure with some seed rock for a while to save money. Shallower is probably better in prop tanks, I was going to set up a bunch of diffuser shelves for frags... top rack for SPS, bottom rack for zoanthids, LPS etc., that way the height is adjustable to your lighting. I do plan on periodic oyster egg feedings, probably target feeding as well. If I can eventually break even on the equipment cost by selling frags I'll be more than happy, I wouldn't anticipate a profit.

chrismhaase
11/10/2007, 08:51 AM
Why don't you buy a bunch of live rock rubble? Eventually you can start to us it to mount frags on. Rubble always looks better than plugs or disks, IMO. This way you get a benefit of the live rock and it becomes useful as your harvest grows.

LockeOak
11/10/2007, 11:36 AM
Nearly all of my frags are on rubble right now, and it is a real pain to keep them where you put them. The irregular shapes of the rubble makes it very difficult to find a spot where they won't fall over. The biggest chore in my tank isn't water changes, it's picking the frags back up off the bottom.