PDA

View Full Version : Help me start over - what would you do

GoLowDrew
11/09/2007, 10:39 AM
I had my tank for 3+ years. I think I want to start over and build a marine tank. Not just FOWLR. I'm doing well.

Here is what I have.

29G tank
Powerhead
LR
Sand
Fishes (Clown, Blue Damsel)
snails (white)
Standard light hood (floresent bulb)

Next question is what do I want? I don't know. Help me build a marine tank. You tell me what I should get. Create a shopping list for me, and I'll take it to my LFS to find it. What do you think that will be hardy and I can take care of at my level?

What equipment do I need to buy? Please be specific. New light? skimmer? Sump? Again, create a shopping list for me incase I left something out.

What's my budget? Let's say $500 total.

Thanks

Playa-1
11/09/2007, 10:56 AM
1) Get a bigger budget

an411
11/09/2007, 10:59 AM
what type of lights are you currently using I would go with at least t5's if not MH. The MH might be a bit much for a tank that size I am not to sure about that. The skimmer and the sump are a plus to any system but are not necessary. the sump I would make one. and the skimmer I use a euroreef and I like the way that its functions and performs. there are other ones that are as good I am sure that someone else will give you options

coker98
11/09/2007, 11:04 AM
I would get a bigger tank first. If you are wanting a reef tank, the chances of you wanting to upgrade will be likely and sooner rather than later. You will be pleased with a tank that has more with than a standard 55 gallon. A standard 55 and most below that is 12 inches wide. I think you should just find a 75 gallon and start from there. Try to have a sump as this would provide a little more stablity as there would be more water volume. You will need proper lighting as well. If you just plan on doing softies and LPS then power compacts may suffice but chances are you will want to upgrade this in the near future as well. I would just find a metal halide set. When you get a skimmer be sure to get one that has good reviews but these may cost you more. So what I would do is get an alright one, mesh mod it and make sure that the rating for the maximum tank size is double that of your actual water volume. One of the MAG pumps will be good for a return. Possibly a MAG 5 or 7 will be good. Try not to go too overboard as the drain on reef ready tanks only can go about 750 gallons per hour, so try not to exceed that. You can find most of these things in the for sale section but you will have to go on a hunt for them as most people on RC are very quick to hop on a good deal. I think the most expensive part of your set up is going to be your tank, stand and lights. It is great that you want to support your LFS but to maximize tyour money for products you are better off with just searching RC and being patient. Your cost will vary depending on what type and size of setup you want and again this is just what I would do if I were in your position. Good luck and I hope everything goes well.

Davidb6
11/09/2007, 11:05 AM
I will be doing mine over in the next few months..I will make two changes I'll pass along -

1, Use a sump - great way to - hide your protein skimmer, have a larger refugium, hide heaters, add supliments, easier topoffs, add strong circulation without keeping numeroius pumps in the display, etc...

2, I will not add hermits smaller than my snails in the future. The hermits just kill them for the shells and snals do just as good a job.

Good luck -

Davidb6
11/09/2007, 11:06 AM
Oh yea, one more obvious thing...I'll get a larger tank.