PDA

View Full Version : what skimmer can i use external

fishkeeeper
11/09/2007, 11:37 AM
ok need help in picking a skimmer looking for one that is external of the tank anyone know which ones i could use

DarG
11/09/2007, 12:10 PM
Bermuda skimmers, ETSS skimmers, Aqua C, any Beckett skimmer, Most recirculating skimmers (Deltec, DAS, H&S, Octopus ... recriculating models) . There are loads of skimemrs that can be used externally. The skimmers that you cant use externally are the non-recirculating needlewheels as the pumps draw directly from the water in the sump.

So ... budget? Amount of water in the system? Planned bio-load (heavy, light, medium) ? How much room do you have? Do you have a preference as to type ... Recirculating Needlewheel, Beckett, Downdraft ... ?

fishkeeeper
11/09/2007, 12:14 PM
medium bioload on a 65 gallon trying to stay in a reasonable range in pricing under 400

Reef Sponger
11/09/2007, 12:26 PM
DAS EX-1

DarG
11/09/2007, 12:33 PM
DAS EX-1 , Bermuda 3C come to mind for good externals under your price range. There are many other choices though. These are two that I have used recently. I have a DAS EX-2 model. My tank is a 90 gallon.

I have used the 3C. It is a venturi skimmer but it really does kick butt. It's kind of a new twist on the venturi design. Water is injected downward into a mixing box and turbulence is kept relatively low with a inner cylinder that kinda acts as a buffer to turbulence. Requires a pump that does about 500-600 GPH (a little better wont hurt), pressure rated preferably. My little 3C outskimmed an unmodded Octopus dual needlewheel recirculating pump skimmer.
The 3C is a smallish skimmer but an excellent choice for a 65 gallon (and larger). I measured air flow of over 10 LPM using a Blue Line 30HD external pressure rated pump. 600+ LPH of air is pretty good for a Venturi skimmer and plenty to get the little 3C cranking out the skimmate. Venturis have taken a back seat, considered old technology but Bermuda Aquatics makes the design competitive again. I loved that little skimmer. About 300 bucks if memory serves.

The DAS skimmers are copies of the older Deltec designs. They use Aquabee pumps which are small and quiet. I have an EX-2 now. You should check out the DAS skimmer thread. Lots of happy DAS owners. The EX-1 is plenty of skimmer for a heavily loaded 65 gallon. Really great bang for the buck skimmers.

kdblove_99
11/10/2007, 08:24 AM
DAS EX1, I have one on my 60 cube with 55 refugium heavy load. Skimmer does great!

The only thing and i say ONLY thing i dont care for is the small collection cup, I wish the Collection cup was bigger.

Thinking about doing a MOD and making a waste collector

fishkeeeper
11/10/2007, 09:03 AM
ill look into the das thanks for the help guys