PDA

View Full Version : Proper use of light mover(rail)?

o.c.d.
11/09/2007, 01:33 PM
I'm searching for more info about the proper use of a light mover for a propigation tank, still to be built. I have the light 150 watt MH I also have the rail My question is how long can I build the tank before the coral pay the price for not enough light.Or the effect ongrowth rate.
I did post in prop fourm still looking for more info

aninjaatemyshoe
11/09/2007, 03:10 PM
I'd say that one light on a light rail is good for about 4'. It does depend on other factors such as how high the light is and what kind of reflector you're using. The issue is that you don't want the coral to be in the dark for too much time. You could add some supplemental lighting like 2 T5s to help keep the coral illuminated while the light is on the other side of the tank.

aurora
11/09/2007, 03:49 PM
I've seen a 8' prop tank doing well with one 1000W mh bulb on a light mover. If you are just growing softies and zoos, you can probably go 4' on a 150W bulb. You've got to keep that 150W bulb pretty low if you want to propagate sps though. If you want to keep a really long prop tank...add a slave trolley and another light. You don't have to hang only 1 light on your motor.

o.c.d.
11/09/2007, 04:12 PM
I was thinking 10"high 4' long ,or even 6'' high 4'. T5 suggestion sounds good.I wish I could go higher wattage but my wife has me on a wattage buget,Strike that she has me on aquarium buget,apparently if you go over the $25,000 limit she then has a problem.

aurora
11/11/2007, 04:55 PM
4 feet long is OK but be aware that the center 2-3' is likely the best growth area. Since you are on a wattage limit, consider a good reflector like a luminarc to maximize the light spread.

aurora
11/11/2007, 04:55 PM
4 feet long is OK but be aware that the center 2-3' is likely the best growth area. Since you are on a wattage limit, consider a good reflector like a luminarc to maximize the light spread.

o.c.d.
11/11/2007, 08:07 PM
Thank you for your suggestions aurora,and your setup looks awsome in your gallery

hahnmeister
11/12/2007, 02:58 PM
4', 6', 8'... all okay. IME, you want one bulb per every 4' though, going back and forth 2'. If you start going beyond this (like one bulb per 6') you are going to be pushing it. Also, to minimize the effect of the middle getting all the light, get a unit with a delay at the ends (the aragamover and gualala robotics light rail 3.5 ones have this). This delay will keep the light at the ends for an additional adjustable amount so that the ends get some light too.

My ratio that I have come up with is a light mover allows 2 for 1... as in, one 250wattDE functioning as 2 because of its movement.

o.c.d.
11/12/2007, 07:23 PM
I had know idea about the time delay,I bought a used gualala witch is what sparked the idea in the first place .Now after finding the newer Intelli Drive model online it that is a must have, my search starts now. My only other thought is that I might have problems with the light swinging or swaying. the plan was to facen the rail to my ceiling so the lights cable mount system might be a problem?Or maybe Im worrying over nothing

jnarowe
11/12/2007, 07:48 PM
I use 3.5 drives with 1000W lamps moving front to back on my 1000g reef. The tank dimensions are 8' x 5' x 35" and the lamps move a total of about 2' front-to-back. I have them about 12 - 16" above the water, where coverage is about 2.5 square feet give or take. There is a delay at each end of the rail. I am extremely happy with this set up, and it affords me significantly less electrical usage over similar sized systems, while giving the corals and anemones more than enough light. My anemones never try to move up in the rock work.

ouuduy
11/26/2007, 12:07 AM
anyone have pictures or videos of light rails in action ?

hahnmeister
11/26/2007, 12:35 AM
my little red house has a bunch of pics

jnarowe
11/26/2007, 09:07 AM
so does the manufacturer web site.