PDA

View Full Version : i think i shocked my zoos with light

kimboslice
11/09/2007, 11:01 PM
had them high up getting a lot of mh, some closed up and some look melted? i have no pics but can they melt from lighting?
i moved them lower will they recover or should i frag the healthy looking ones?

MUCHO REEF
11/10/2007, 08:03 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news my friend. Could you clarify what you mean by melted? Not trying to be smart at all, it's just an ambiguous term we try to lean a helping hand.

Light shock can and does happen, but if you've had them up there for some time and they all of a sudden crashed/declined etc,, I wouldn't consider that light shock. If the lighting is too intense, most polyps that are found in deeper water won't expand fully and maybe not at all. If you did move them high, It should be an incremental gradual move upward, this will greatly decrease your chances of shock and bleaching.

I would move them lower and to the left or right of a direct light spray and just leave them. To be on the safe side, you could frag those that appear healthy and place the others as stated above and you should be ok. Fading/bleached can and will recover, but it takes a long time and the color may not be exactly the same when it does return.

Good luck

Mucho Reef

Lytehouse
11/10/2007, 09:16 AM
Good words mucho,

I'm just curious kimboslice, what was happening in your system just before they began to look bad? Have you just added them or something else to the tank? Had you just changed bulbs or something else in the system?

Good luck........

kimboslice
11/12/2007, 07:35 PM
well some still look very healthy and are completely open, anyway one day i noticed some started closing up and more the next day so i moved them to a lower spot, maybe melted is not a good word, but some of the skirts look all goofy like a few are open but only part of the skirt is open and a few where the color(these are red zoos so the red is abnormal) is looking like its coming off( thats where i got the melted from)

they come from a mh tank so i thought they would be fine high up

as far as shading them what if i just move them much lower to the bottom? my tank is very crowded at the moment, at the moment it is on the bottom but still getting direct light

kimboslice
11/12/2007, 07:38 PM
b4 they went bad, there were many fires near me so i didnt run my mh for 3-5 days? so maybe they got shocked when i ran them again? i also wiped down my mh lights that had built up water spots and just changed my carbon cuz of the fires so maybe the clearer water had an effect
my other zoos in my tank look fine except for some brand new frags i got which are slowly starting to open