PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Urgent Skimmer Advice

JeffDubya
11/10/2007, 01:07 AM
I have a problem, and need your help.

It would seem that I made a slight mistake when I built my sump. The skimmer zone is too deep, at least according to the fine folks at Coralife, who makes my skimmer.

I noticed this week that the skimmer collection cup was filling quickly, even at the lowest setting. I assumed I my pump was too high in the water, and caller the manufacturer to verify that theory. They indicated that the skimmer itself sits too low, and there is "not enough resistance."

I am not certain what this means, but here's what I *do* know. There is not enough clearance on my rack to allow me to lower the sump, or to raise the shelf the skimmer sits underneath. What this means is I have an exceedingly tight space with which to work, and raising the skimmer is not possible.

Additionally, hanging on the side of the tank is also not an option due to clearance issues. Damn!

If you need photos, I can provide a few.

Is there anything I can do, perhaps to mod this thing that will make it work? There's always SOMETHING....

dc_909
11/10/2007, 01:18 AM
Build a stand out of acrylic to raise it.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/dc_909/Tank%20Build/100_4852.jpg

JeffDubya
11/10/2007, 01:20 AM
I can't post photos online here... but I did something similar with egg crate. It's as high as it can go, even to the point that taking the collection cup off is a complete PITA.

BTW, that's a seriously clean, beautiful, A-R sump. Love it.

dc_909
11/10/2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks.

This is the response I got from Coralife when asking about skimmer height

"The water line in the sump should be no more than 6 or 7 inches."

JeffDubya
11/10/2007, 01:40 AM
So six inches from the bottom.

Yeah, I'm about double that. About 12 inches.

JCTewks
11/10/2007, 01:53 AM
You could try hacking the output tube off and replacing the standard "tee" output with either a gate valve or an adjustable standpipe (out of a compression coupling). The latter being preferable as the skimmer will be less apt to overflow by not adding resistance to the output.

JeffDubya
11/10/2007, 02:04 AM
I don't suppose you would have a diagram or photo?

My output was not a tee. I replaced the crappy plastic 90 degree elbow it shipped with (it was cracked out of the box) with a standard pvc fitting. I am a little worried about removing that elbow because my guess is the whole assembly will shatter. These coralife skimmers work pretty well but are made of pretty cheap plastic.

Of course, if it does break, I will just have to buy a new skimmer. Which is where I'll be if I can't find a solution to this issue. Something not nearly as tall, I think.

JeffDubya
11/10/2007, 02:07 AM
Here are the pics...

http://www.williamsdesign.com/personal/DSC_0004.jpg

http://www.williamsdesign.com/personal/DSC_0006.jpg

http://www.williamsdesign.com/personal/DSC_0008.jpg

JCTewks
11/10/2007, 02:14 AM
which model do you have? I'm thinking of the CSS 63, 125, 225 line of skimmers....but can't really tell from the pics

If it is that line of skimmer, just cut the output pipe off about 4-6" from where it exits the skimmer and put on one of those pipe repair couplings with the compression ring that will go around the existing pipe. Then you can adjust your ouptut level by moving that up or down and be able to get the water level in the skimmer body lower.

subman719
11/10/2007, 02:21 AM
I had the same problem with my Coralife skimmer but I had it hanging on the outside of my sump. I had to make play hose lengths and sump levels to make sure the top of the skimmer pump was no more than 3 inches from the water line. I found it was a pain in the *&( when avaporation changed the level in my sump which also change the output of the skimmer (either not foaming enough or overflowing out of control)

My Fix for the problem after dealing with it for months was to ditch the whole Coralife skimmer and I now have a Precision Marine Bullet 2 mounted remotely next to the sump... runs GREAT! Problem solved!

subman719
11/10/2007, 02:29 AM
From looking at your pictures, your skimmer seams to be in a good spot/height. Try experimenting with different lengths of hose between the skimmer and pump (raising or lowering). Based on your picture, I think you need to lower the pump an inch or 2. That would create the extra "backpressure" they talked about.

seanb1
11/10/2007, 06:37 AM
just take some water out of your sump, why do you have it so high in there.
sump water levels should stay the same.

is your tank drilled or are you using a overflow?

Big_D
11/10/2007, 07:15 AM
Pulling water out of the sump won't help... it's the height of the baffles that's killing him. The only way I can think of to fix your problem without completly remaking your baffles/sump is pulling the sump out and cutting long slots in the baffles you've got. The slots would need to end at the level you want the water to be. It looks like you need to cut them down at least a little anyhow to allow for the volume of water in you're overflow to drain into the sump when the return pump is shut off.

Of course, this won't work if your baffles are made of glass.

Big D

subman719
11/10/2007, 12:33 PM
I have to agree with both CATIII and seanndenise1. If your baffles are acrylic, then you can use a drill with a 3/4 inch or so hole saw to drill a few holes in a row ( oooooo ) to become your new spillway. (Just make sure you remove enough water out of your sump so you don't submerge your drill). Once you've effectively lowered your water level a few inches, then extend the length of your "pump to skimmer" hose so that the top of the pump is at 3" below the water surface. If doing so makes the pump hang lower than the skimmer, you need to lower the skimmer platform a little. When I had mine running (Coralife 125) it didn't like it when bottom of the pump was lower than the bottom of the skimmer. Your skimmer looks a little different than mine so your results may be different.

Bob