PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Nano, What Filter Media to Use?

twodaend
11/10/2007, 11:09 AM
I have the Tunze Nano Reefpack 200 on my 20L. I was wondering what filter media should I be using in the filter. I have been using just the filter floss so far, but I'm wondering if I should be using something else in addition to that. I've read about ChemiPure and ChemiPure Elite and i think I should be using that, but I'm not sure. I was going to get the elite if I did. Is there anything else I should be trying to pack the filter chamber with?

In my FW tank, I have HOB filters backed with a sponge, biomax and filter floss listed bottom up.

rvitko
11/12/2007, 10:12 AM
I would use either the floss or a unit of chemipure. Always pack the filter lightly, if the media is too dense the filter pump will struggle and produce bubbles.

Opus123
11/12/2007, 10:38 AM
I use Poly filter pads and PURA filter pads in mine. Both are great because you can cut them to fit perfectly into the filter area. I've been using Poly filter pads since the early 90's and love them. I especially like them because they change color as they pull out the bad stuff. You can also get a filter sock and use different media such as ROWA phosphate remover.

smatter
11/12/2007, 12:24 PM
I have found Seachem Matrix carbon in a 800 micron filter bag to perform the best in the Nano Cleaner. The spherical shape of the carbon coupled with 800 micron bag affords very little resistance. The blue Marineland Rite Size bonded filter pad works well as it is coarse and can be cut to fit. I used to use two layers which I would spear through the middle with a small plastic zip tie, leaving the end with the fastener on the bottom to stop it from pulling all the way through the pads. This way you have someting to grasp when you want to replace the pads and you don't have to get your fingers wet.