PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae battle

Sander1001
11/10/2007, 03:11 PM
I have my system behind RODI and somehow my phosphates rose to unpresidented levels to my surprise. I hadn't checked them in years as they where never a problem with the filter. But I instaled a phosphate reacator and they don't even regeister now, but the algae is not going away. How to I retaliate?

m2434
11/10/2007, 03:18 PM
Usually, when I have hair algae, I add GFO and it starts to die in a few days to a week.

Reeftard29
11/10/2007, 10:51 PM
I am a bit new to the reef world. Can you explain " GDO" I am having a terrible problem with algae myself. The tank has been running about a year and pretty much with little effort. Probably too little. In the last couple of months my tank has been taken oven by algae and I can't figure out how to kill it. I bought some phosoban and but it in the little tray in the back where the water flows. Sorry i don't really know the technical terms. I have a built in filtering system. Within about a week of putting the back in the tank, my fish dies, my 3 new turbo snails died?? I was careful not to but the bag in a place where the water flows to quickly.
Anyhow, I would like to know how to get rid of this algae that is growing on everything: in the back of tank, the rocks, the sand the blowers, starting to grow in my brains and surrounding my mushrooms.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

uscharalph
11/10/2007, 11:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11156207#post11156207 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m2434
Usually, when I have hair algae, I add GFO and it starts to die in a few days to a week.
GFO?

Sarcophyton874
11/10/2007, 11:42 PM
Get the F Out (GFO)

treejohnny
11/11/2007, 12:46 AM
If you go to the plant part of this forum they have a sticky for hair algae ID. Different types require different steps for removal.

First place to start is what is the food source of the algae. What is the TDS of the water that you put in tank ? Do you over feed ? Algae needs phospates and nitrates and ofcourse light to grow.

itZme
11/11/2007, 12:49 AM
Granular Ferric Oxide. It is phosphate remover. Brand names are Rowaphos, Phosban etc... Generic available much cheaper at www.twopartsolution.com .

HTH

jeweldamsel
11/11/2007, 12:54 AM
In addition to phosphate remover, I cultivate macro algae in my fuge to consume the nutrition that algae need to grow.