PDA

View Full Version : Best skimmer for a 75

Happy Reefing
11/10/2007, 11:21 PM
I am going to begin plans for a 75 gallon reef...which skimmer do you all feel is the BEST ($$ not an issue) brand and model for a tank this size? Euroreef is the obvious answer, but I was honestly thinking about going with an ASM...would a G3 be TOO much for a tank this size? Also, are Tunze skimmers any good?

Thanks in advance!

ReefRockerLive
11/10/2007, 11:38 PM
If money is truly not an issue then I'd recommend either an H&S A150-F2001 skimmer or the Korallen Zucht Revolution S. There is a large price difference between both skimmers, but if you plan to upgrade within 2 or 3 years from now, then the KZ Revolution S would be a better choice since it's good for upto a 396g.
These skimmers will blow the ER out of the water. JMO

MplsMan
11/10/2007, 11:39 PM
i have a es5-2 on my 75...excellent skimmer for the money!
had running for over 6 years with no problems at all.:thumbsup:

ReefRockerLive
11/10/2007, 11:41 PM
Here's some info on the skimmers:
KZ Revolution S (http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_348&products_id=1810)
H&S A150-F2001 (http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_184_94&products_id=450)

Happy Reefing
11/10/2007, 11:45 PM
What about a Deltec?

I have been looking at the ASM's (are they not any good?) Deltec's (but don't know anything about 'em) and a Tunze skimmer.

I have to be honest, I have never even heard of Korallen Zucht Revolution S, lol. I will be reading up though, thanks for the input!

Happy Reefing
11/10/2007, 11:48 PM
ReefRockerLive:

When I said $$ wasn't an issue, it was because I couldn't imagine a skimmer in the 75gal tank size range being THAT expensive...but knowing this hobby I should have known that there was some out there. Wow, talk about $$...they really worth that much loot? My G6 didn't even cost that much for god's sake. And these things don't even come with the pumps! lol wow is all I can say.

luke33
11/10/2007, 11:59 PM
Pass on the asm's, for a 75g get a das ex1 or ex2 if you can afford it. Plug and play with no adjustments. 285-440 www.petorama.net For a 75g you shouldn't have to pay a ton for a skimmer to work well.

ReefRockerLive
11/11/2007, 12:05 AM
This hobby sure does get expensive, quick! :D

ASM, at one time use to be very similar to the Euro-Reef Skimmers, but now that ER did some changes, they have by far surpassed the ASM skimmer line, especially with their Ehiem driven pumps.

The Deltec skimmers are very good skimmers, but they carry a large price tag. I am currently using the Deltec AP600 skimmer and it is a very good skimmer, but I don't plan on buying anything Deltec because of their price tags. IMO, save your money and go for H&S instead of a Deltec as they are better built and cheaper. From my experience with the Deltec customer service, it was great at first, but then went straight downwards after having called them over 6 times and not having one returned. It's going to be one month since I contacted them and I have yet to hear from them. IMO, their customer service is like a 50/50 shot nowadays.

Tunze Skimmers have become very popular for their superb performance. I have seen many recommend them so they must be a good skimmer. :)

The KZ Revolution S is a fairly new skimmer that has become very popular on the Zeo forums. Users have reported better polyp extension and coloration in their acros. Some have replaced their Bubble Kings and Deltec for these line of skimmers. I've seen some skimmate pics lurking around RC, maybe KZ Revolution users will chime in and share their pics.

reefbegood
11/11/2007, 12:39 AM
cant go wrong with a H/S 150 thats what i have on my 75 might be a little hard to find in stock

hahnmeister
11/11/2007, 01:32 AM
ATB nano would work as well... what can I say, Im a fan!

kdblove_99
11/11/2007, 05:28 AM
Like Luke said a DAS EX1 would be perfect. I have one and love it and the price is great.

It is a older style Deltec knock off and is a total plug and play skimmer!

Rwinfrey
11/11/2007, 05:37 AM
A fan who gets free junk:p

USC-fan
11/11/2007, 07:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11158909#post11158909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefRockerLive
This hobby sure does get expensive, quick! :D

ASM, at one time use to be very similar to the Euro-Reef Skimmers, but now that ER did some changes, they have by far surpassed the ASM skimmer line, especially with their Ehiem driven pumps.

The Deltec skimmers are very good skimmers, but they carry a large price tag. I am currently using the Deltec AP600 skimmer and it is a very good skimmer, but I don't plan on buying anything Deltec because of their price tags. IMO, save your money and go for H&S instead of a Deltec as they are better built and cheaper. From my experience with the Deltec customer service, it was great at first, but then went straight downwards after having called them over 6 times and not having one returned. It's going to be one month since I contacted them and I have yet to hear from them. IMO, their customer service is like a 50/50 shot nowadays.

Tunze Skimmers have become very popular for their superb performance. I have seen many recommend them so they must be a good skimmer. :)

The KZ Revolution S is a fairly new skimmer that has become very popular on the Zeo forums. Users have reported better polyp extension and coloration in their acros. Some have replaced their Bubble Kings and Deltec for these line of skimmers. I've seen some skimmate pics lurking around RC, maybe KZ Revolution users will chime in and share their pics. h&s just raise their prices so some of there skimmer cost more than deltec.

ReefRockerLive
11/11/2007, 08:41 AM
Yes that is true, but in Happy Reefing's case, since he has a 75g he could get the A150-2001 skimmer and still pay less than the equivalent Deltec APF600.

CruzinKim
11/11/2007, 07:45 PM
IMO, the best skimmer you can get for your 75g on quality construction and high performance is the H&S A150. I almost bought one, but save $200 by buying the new ATi Bubblemaster 160 and use the extra $200 for a Tunze Osomolator to keep my sump dead constant. Not only do I have a great skimmer, but I don't have to worry until the end of each week to refill the water storage container.

seagirl
11/11/2007, 08:18 PM
i have an asm g3 on my 75, it works good, but i got it a year ago when it was cheaper. but to answer your question i don't think it's TOO much for the tank

aninjaatemyshoe
11/11/2007, 09:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11158838#post11158838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Happy Reefing
ReefRockerLive:

When I said $$ wasn't an issue, it was because I couldn't imagine a skimmer in the 75gal tank size range being THAT expensive...but knowing this hobby I should have known that there was some out there. Wow, talk about $$...they really worth that much loot? My G6 didn't even cost that much for god's sake. And these things don't even come with the pumps! lol wow is all I can say.

Yes, there are skimmers out there that are ridiculously expensive. Are they worth that money? Not really IMO. Personally, I'm in the camp that will pay a good amount of money for a decent skimmer, but won't take out a second mortgage to do so. I just wish there was a better selection in this mid-range (say around $300-$400). There seem to be plenty of cheap crap skimmers and plenty of very expensive ones, but not all that much in the middle.