PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Phosphate absorber?

11/11/2007, 01:23 AM
Caulerpa Lentillifera or Chaetomorpha?

My Caulerpa Lentillifera grows mad crazy while my Chaetomorpha grows 1/4 the speed of my Caulerpa Lentillifera. Both are in the same sump and right next to each other and getting the same flow and lighting.

From my observation I have to say Caulerpa Lentillifera absorbs phosphate faster than Chaetomorpha, but what does your observation have shown you which absorbs phosphate faster.

Please leave out the whole going asexual debate since Caulerpa Lentillifera only goes asexual if they have no light continuously for 3-5 days.

hahnmeister
11/11/2007, 02:42 AM
Caulerpa has been shown to be the highest exporter of nutrients in lab testing... but it also tends to give off chemicals which inhibit stony coral growth... so its a trade.

11/11/2007, 10:58 AM
My lps & sps is growning fast and crazy. I have about 3' x 2' x 2' of Caulerpa.

11/11/2007, 12:26 PM
Seems like most people are voting without even a explain if they have both or just one or the other.

ReefWreak
11/11/2007, 12:44 PM
I've always experienced caulerpa growing faster than cheato. Cheato is the "safety" exporter IMO because it can't go sexual and takes a long time to die off if not happy. The Caulerpa grow like crazy, but can go sexual and supposedly nuke your tank if that happens.

I'm with Caulerpa on this one. It just grows significantly faster, and if you keep it in check you shouldn't have too much of a problem.