PDA

View Full Version : Making Salt Water

dismayed
11/11/2007, 01:36 PM
Up to this point I've been purchasing salt water at a LFS. I'm thinking about making it myself now.

From reading this forum, from what I understand I would basically be taking tap water, running it through an RO/DI filter, dumping it into a container of some kind, then adding an appropriate amount of salt mix, and testing the salinity of the salt to make sure it is where it needs to be. Is that about it?

Can anyone recommend a good RO/DI filter?

Brandon M
11/11/2007, 01:46 PM
Don't forget about throwing in a power head into the container. Let the salt and RO/DI water mix for at least 24 hours, the test the salinity and PH again before adding to the tank.

Billybeau1
11/11/2007, 01:53 PM
Visit the Filter Guys. They are a sponsor here and will set you straight.

I use a 20 gallon container to store my water. I put a float valve on it to shut it off when it gets to 16 gallons.

I use this water for top off.

The day before a water change, I add the salt and put a pump and heater in and the next morning my water is ready.

stuccodude
11/11/2007, 02:58 PM
i just started making my own water, its so nice not going to the fish store, great investment.

Acillaton
11/11/2007, 03:11 PM
Dont forget to add salt kinda slow... and good idea is to leave mixed water sit for 24 hours if you can. Good luck.