PDA

View Full Version : Live rock help

OneEyedJohnny
11/11/2007, 08:11 PM
Can anyone vouche for Dr's Foster & Smith Lalo, Melanesian, and Caribbean rock? Is it rich in micro-organisms? If not which website would be a better choice to order from as my LFS has really crappy LR, I saw some in one of my co-workers year old tank and it just doesn't have much on it except purple coralline algae. I want a good mix of textures and colors with good bio-diversity.

Also I am wanting to buy an RO/DI unit, is Kent Marine a good brand? What type of flow rate should I get to maintain a 70G tank? I do plan on making my own 16 gallon top-off setup out of a 66 quart "target-brand" plastic storage box, a small pump, and 2 float valve kits (one to fill the top-off reservoir with the RO/DI, and one for the sump to top it off), if that would matter in deciding on a flow rate.

ahullsb
11/11/2007, 09:06 PM
I have never purchased rock online before. I think Dr's F&S have a fairly good reputation though. Getting rock from someone near you with an established tank is always a good way as well. Your coworker may not have the right water parameters for good coralline growth. Proper CA, Alk, and Mg should get any rock looking good after a year. I wouldn't buy the Kent marine filter. My roommate has one and I'm no fan of it. For RO units check out The Filter guys, or Purely H2O. There are a few other good ones but I can't remember the site.

demonsp
11/11/2007, 09:18 PM
This is very nive looking rock. I would like some. As for hitch hickers , its a gamble. Most have wanted life like worms , pods and even some coral . But you could get unwanted critters. It a chance that is minimized with a good fresh water dip. Any LR you buy will have enough benifetial life to populate and would be seeded buy yoyr other LR.
Its a good looking rock IMO.

BlooFish
11/11/2007, 09:37 PM
Hey, Newb to Newb, I just received 40# of the Carribean & 30# of the Lalo Friday. I am setting up a 75. Both looked good to me. The Lalo had more corraline & color variety, but was one large coral that they had to break the tips off of to get in the box. So, I received one giant chunk and a lot of small fragments. I will have to break it up some more to make it work.

I think I like the Carribean better because of the shapes. It has a plating form. There were 2 large pieces in the box. One is full of large cavities and the other is more solid and columnar, with some "shelves" I will try and stand it up if I can make it stable enough. These rocks had more macro algae and less colorful coralline, a little purple here and there. There was also the remains of a large worm that I removed today.

The only other inverts I have seen was a small worm or two crawling around on the bottom of the tank.

If i were to do it over I would probably have just ordered 60# of the Carribean, mainly beacause I like the shapes. It seemed to smell a little fresher, and had pods? I guess (looked like tiny fleas) moving around when I unwrapped the rocks.

I ordered mine next day also, since it wasn't a big price difference.

Good luck!

demonsp
11/11/2007, 09:40 PM
A good 50 % base and 50% LR is a great combination. You will seed all the base and have plenty of the hitchhickers you want. Then also get the lalo and some www.reefscience.com LR. You would be very happy.Besides saving some good dough. GL

OneEyedJohnny
11/11/2007, 10:17 PM
I saw those filters before but couldn't remember what website. Those are far better for the same price. I like the 6 stage filters but are they expensive to maintain? How often would something like that need to be maintained with routine top-off/water changes on my 70G and at what cost?

That reefscience Polynesian LR is some really nice looking stuff, might include it in my LR mix if it isn't too pricy. What would be an optimal lighting setup on a 70G tank, I have been worried about watts. Looks like I would need in the ballpark of 350-560watts, if I plan on doing a reef setup in the future should I aim low or high in that range ... or am I way off. I am using the 5-8watts/gallon "rule" I saw posted somewhere. I was thinking of going with a "system" with HQI/some type of fluorescent/lunarlights ... is there any cheaper way out of the lighting equation or do you have to bite the bullet. I have an existing 48" hood and a 30" hood (from a tank I plan on using as my sump), could I use a combo of fluorescents in them to get the LR going in my tank until I get the moola for some good lighting. I only have the money for the pumps, LR, RO/DI, thermometer, refractometer, test kits, tubing/connectors, and overflow right now and would really like to get to LR cycling!

JuzDuky
11/11/2007, 10:41 PM
I just got rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and I am very pleased with it www.tampabaysaltwater.com

Here are a few pics of my 90 gallon just a couple of hours after installation in the tank:

Right side:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimcinlb/Right.jpg

Left Side:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimcinlb/Left.jpg

Center shot:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimcinlb/Center.jpg

demonsp
11/11/2007, 10:58 PM
Juzduky, how old are these pics?

JuzDuky
11/11/2007, 11:11 PM
Hey demon:

These pics are from last night. It is ~180# of live rock in a 90 gallon. Tampa Bay Saltwater sends 1/2 the order at first and after the tank finishes the cycle, the second 1/2 is sent.

This is about 3 weeks ago with the first shipment:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimcinlb/90Gal.jpg

Lots of color from the get-go:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimcinlb/Colors.jpg

Then this morning with the full amount of ~180#:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimcinlb/WholeTank.jpg

demonsp
11/11/2007, 11:18 PM
Very nice. Just dont like those 2 koralias. I would replace one of them with a better pump. The bigger the better. Most high end powerheads come with a flow control switch to control the flow.
But this is without knowing the flow from the return.

But very nice, a daimond goby would keep that SB nice and groomed also.GL

JuzDuky
11/11/2007, 11:22 PM
Yeah, a flow control on the power heads would be nice...the returns are (2) 900 gph Rio pumps. Thanks for the compliments :)

demonsp
11/11/2007, 11:25 PM
The price tag on the koralias is decieving. Great pumps but just not powerful enough. Proper flow is well worth the cost.
Also if tank still cycling then limit main lighting untill cycled. Start with 1 hour raising weekly untill you have desired time. This help with algea control.