PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring Mag drive 18 help!

AquaKnight
11/11/2007, 10:11 PM
Went over my wiring today to clean it up a bit and make sure everything was alright, came across the plug for the Mag 18 for my skimmer. It was heavily salt encrusted and near impossible to pull out. Had to use a flathead to pry it out. Got it out and checked the plug, the ground prong was rusted inside the plastic bit (pulled out a tad from ripping it out). I thought maybe it was the outlet on the power strip, so I tried another one and it started to smoke/pop/sizzle. The pump has been running 24/7 and never showed a problem.

As I was removing the pump I noticed a slice in the power cord near the pump. The cut was down to the copper wire, but I have never noticed any current in my tank and it was on the inside part of a loop on the cord as it was resting, so I don't think it was shorting-out into the tank, if it must have been a very minute amount.

Could this have fouled the plug out? Also, has anyone have replaced the power cord on a Mag pump? I haven't got in-depth with it yet, but don't really remember being able to open the pump up very much on the back side? Any input is appreciated.

AquaKnight
11/12/2007, 10:30 AM
Bump for the noon crowd...