PDA

View Full Version : cleaning ceramic media

Snausy
11/12/2007, 12:47 AM
Hi guys, I wanted to ask specifically about cleaning my Eheim Substrat Pro ceramic media. Is it cleanable? It was used on a hospital tank(no copper, just hypo SG) then put in a closet with the water still in it for a couple months. Smelled kinda nasty when I opened it but rinsed like heck then dried it and haven't used it for almost a year.

I'm cleaning my wet/dry cannister by running with almost pure vinegar and then bleach solution. Will this clean my ceramic media as well? Would doing the vinegar then bleach, rinsing like heck then baking in the oven do the trick? Then I'd set up the filter on tank with dechlorinator just to be safe.

Can I re-use the ceramic media after cleaning like this?

Thanks for the input.

coast2coast7390
11/12/2007, 01:08 AM
baking is not necessary...neither is bleach...nor is vinigar

just soak in dechlorinated water and should be fine

honestly i dont know why your are cleaning the equipment this much...all it really takes is a good rinsing and a quick scrub...

when my tank crashed all i did was take it out to the front lawn and took a hose to it...scrubed the algae off and set it back up again...and when i took it down cleaned it out the same way...dried and stored...and when i set it up again...rinsed and was ready to go

demonsp
11/12/2007, 01:16 AM
coast2coast7390 also gives great advice . :)