PDA

View Full Version : 20 Gallon tank on kitchen counter ?

flamenco-t
11/12/2007, 01:14 AM
Has anyone ever done this before ? It's a standard size countertop 12" wide sitting evenly on a wall frame. It's more like bar that divides the kitchen into the living area.

I am just worry if it's going to be able to handle 150 lbs of weight on the counter. I will have 1/2" plywood on the bottom of the tank to distribute the weight, there will be no overhang, but I want to be safe than sorry.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/130127Picture_003.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/130127Picture_004.jpg

Stan

demonsp
11/12/2007, 01:20 AM
Supports are 12 inches on center. But i see no problem.

flamenco-t
11/12/2007, 01:30 AM
What do you mean 12" on center ?

The distnce from the end of the counter top is about 2-3", then there are 2-3" on the other side and the rest is the actual wall frame in the middle.

I see no problem with it as well, but I'd ike to hear additional opinions, thoughts and experience.

stan

demonsp
11/12/2007, 01:32 AM
The 2x4's that support the counter are 12 inches on center. Find the center point and you will have plenty off support.

iairj84
11/12/2007, 01:42 AM
I sit on my 25 year old counter tops and I weigh about 200 so a 20 wouldn't weigh a whole lot more than that and it has a bigger footprint... the only thing I would worry about is the chemicals used to clean the countertops.

kathainbowen
11/12/2007, 05:06 AM
.... yes.... but you don't sit on that bar for months to years on end.

I, personally, would NOT recommend this. A friend of mine put a freshwater of about this size on her breakfast bar/passthrough in her apartment. After a few months, the bar actually started to sag, so much so that you could see a visible drop in water level on one side of the tank! At least, I wouldn't recommend this in an apartment, as she very quickly lost her deposit because of a combination of her error in placement and the poor quality construction of breakfast bars in apartment (who doesn't love cheap mass production?).

If this is a home tank, you shouldn't have too many issues, but there is still a chance for problems. Water alone, your tank will weigh 166.8 lbs, so, with substrate and the dry weight of the tank, you are looking at 200 lbs. before rock. Just make sure your counter can hold that weight over an extended period of time.

nauticac4
11/12/2007, 06:05 AM
I had a 20L on my Kitchen counter for about 6 months before I moved into the new place. You should be fine as long as the cabinets arent old and falling apart which they dont appear to be

Racing1
11/12/2007, 06:31 AM
Shouldn't be a problem. I had a 30 Gallon setup on my kitchen bar for a year. I did end up taking it down because of chemical problems. The wifey just didn't grasp the idea of not spraying cleaners near the tank......

dendro982
11/12/2007, 07:26 AM
I had 10g (2x5g) tanks temporarily on the new, 1 year old, particle board kitchen counter with Formica on top, and didn't like hint on sagging. The other parts of kitchen cabinets are 3/4" plywood, support supposed to be solid.

The solid granite top would be better :D

dzeadow
11/12/2007, 08:20 AM
If your bar is supported all the way across w/ only 2" or so on each side of the actual 2x wall, it shouldn't be a problem. I think most here are thinking it's a bar like most people thing where there's anywhere between 6-10" hanging out in the open w/ corbles supporting.. if that's the case I wouldn't recommend it. But if I read this right, it's supported all the way except 2" on either side? Looks like it's formica or something similar? How thick is the build-up under the formica? As for the 2x4/6 spacing, it should be 16" OC unless older construction. This type of framing holds roofs on houses..second floors on top of 1st floors..etc, I'm sure it's over framed for such application. So there's about 8" of countertop totally supported by wall right?

flamenco-t
11/12/2007, 08:35 AM
Total area that is not supported 5", the wall is 7" thick. The countertop is a formica. Total thickness of the countertop is 1.5"

Stan

AquariaOCD
11/12/2007, 08:47 AM
I had one on my kitchen counter for 2 years. No problems - and it appeared to be the same material you have.