PDA

View Full Version : Toms aquatics Rapids pro 3

2t2_crash
11/12/2007, 05:04 AM
Is anyone running one of these or have experience with it?

I was kicking around the idea of a sump/refuge next to the main but I saw one of these at a LFS attached to a heavily overloaded tank and the water was crystal clear so I figured I'd as you guys.

http://www.aquatichouse.com/FILTRATION%20MENU_files/tomwetdry.asp

luke33
11/12/2007, 06:53 AM
There not good, skimmer sux, the overflow sux. If you want a cheap sump you should build it out of rubbermaid containers.

mta
11/12/2007, 06:56 AM
The aqualifter pump scares me.

kdblove_99
11/12/2007, 06:57 AM
Never seen those but it does look cheap.
I bought a used 55 gallon glass tank and had some glass cut and made my own sump its suuper easy and very cheap. Then you could get a good skimmer

2t2_crash
11/12/2007, 10:31 PM
bump for more opinions
no offense, and I believe you. wondering if anyone has good experiences.

siwelk
11/13/2007, 02:24 AM
I've tried to ask people on here about this system before. You can see my thread about it here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1248067&highlight=rapids+AND+pro)

This was my secon thread on the subject and I could never get anyone to comment on it. Usually I just get negative responses about it, but I believe the mostly come from people who have no experience with the system. They usually say it looks like it would be bad or something of that nature. I just ordered the PS4 system from DrsFosterSmith. They have the PS3 on sale for $180 right now during their red tag sale...only until friday though. They also have the PS4 system with the auto top off for only $200. Thats what I went with. I just decided to go for it alone since no one would give me anything useful about it. I found a couple reviews of people who had it when i googled it. Everyone who actually owend it had positive things to say about it. My LFS runs one on one of their tanks too and I asked them about it.

I've discussed this filter with someone over on nano-reef.com and they just bought one as well. I told them about my experience with this filter at my LFS and what they had to say about it.

You can see that thread here (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133557&hl=18x18x18&st=100)

If youre interested I'd look at both threads to get a better idea about it. Ive been researching it for about a month now. I say if its going to suit your needs go for it. I think at $200 its a pretty good deal but Im no expert. I think it'll work out great for myi setup. My experience on this forum is that theres a consensus of whats socially acceptable practice and it usually doesnt vary too much. Not too many people seem to be open to alternative ways to do things if it doesnt cost $$$.

From what I've heard from people who have actually used it, its been positive. If you decide to go with it let me know how it works out for you. I wont be setting my tank up until I move in August, Im just getting it now while its on sale.

HTH

-Kyle

luke33
11/13/2007, 07:12 AM
I've seen one running for over 6mths at the local pet store. I'm friends with the owners and they think they are junk, but for a newbie they are exactly what they are looking for. Unfortunately the skimmer doesn't work very well and the ctube overflow gets alot of salt creep and will overflow on ocassion if not set up correctly. If you do it right the first time you won't have to spend more money the second time around.

siwelk
11/13/2007, 07:33 AM
if they think theyre junk, why have they been running it for the better part of a year?? just curious :p

morishidle
11/13/2007, 09:31 AM
you could build your own sump thats better and cheaper and just get a skimmer that acctualy works

siwelk
11/13/2007, 09:38 AM
it would be better, but not cheaper. my LFS runs a rapids pro on one of their tanks and the skimmer actually works quite well. its just going to depend on your setup. its not the best thing in the world but i think it deserves a little more credit than it gets. once i set mine up hopefully itll work really well and i can silence all the haters out there. haha.

luke33
11/13/2007, 09:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11172790#post11172790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by siwelk
if they think theyre junk, why have they been running it for the better part of a year?? just curious :p

Unfortunately you have to pay rent.....so some newb has to buy it to turn a profit! :lol: Then they will come back in 6mths and want something better....which means more profit.:smokin:

jsf668
11/13/2007, 10:18 AM
Any overflow box with an Aqualifter pump is a disaster waiting to happen..I know. I was using one with a CPR overflow for almost 2 years without problems..Until one pump stopped working. I was home and just missed having a flood. I now use a Lifereef. I agree with everyone..Its junk.

reeferoo
11/13/2007, 01:37 PM
I have one and just upgraded. I think it's a great starter newbie thing. I wouldn't have known what skimmer/sump to get in the beginning but I needed something to run! the wet dry trickle down with crappy skimmer is good for the FOWLR cycling part. Now that I am getting lights and corals I upgraded. Never had problems perse, but I felt like it wasn't doing nearly as good of a job as i wanted the sump/skimmer to do. Also, you cannot fit any extra equip like a chiller pump in there- it is too crowded. It worked for what I paid for it- like all sponge systems, they were nitrate factories unless rinsed often. My overflow box never had issues suprisingly, other than being tricky to get to the right adjustment. A perfect starting piece of equip for me as it kept my tank doing well while I learned what i needed and could have based on my budget.

luke33
11/13/2007, 01:45 PM
Reeferoo is a perfect example. For a beginner it shows you how to start a reef but as you progress you want to get the real deal. So its kinda like a stepping stone. It just depends on how comfortable you are with plumbing your first tank. I was worried the first time i plumbed mine but after you do it once your a pro. So reeferoo spent a couple hundred on something that isn't to hot, who doesn't in this hobby. Atleast he/she didn't get a remora!

crossi92
11/13/2007, 01:55 PM
I had one. It was a huge mistake, I really wish I hadn't spent my money on it. The skimmer is pretty bad, and I had 2 floods. Also a lot of salt spray from the overflow, the wall behind the tank was ruined.

2t2_crash
11/13/2007, 03:02 PM
would the skimmer work well alone for a sump?

2t2_crash
11/13/2007, 04:12 PM
whoops, meant the siphon overflow

2t2_crash
11/13/2007, 11:30 PM
BUMP

siwelk
11/14/2007, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't get it unless you know its certainly not the best thing out there. I agree that's its good if you want to ''get your feet wet'' in this hobby. it appeals to noobs because of the price and what's included. I ordered one but I know that ill be upgrading later on. right now though I feel that's its going to work for me and my setup since ill have a very small bio-load. I'm also young and don't own a house so its much easier for me to move something like this from one place to another without having to tear down a whole complicated plumbing/sump/fuge system. I've seen it in action and I've also heard from others that it does work and its worth the price but know you'll most likely be upgrading at some point as will I. I would only get it if your comfortable with knowing that it is what it is and if its gonna work for you then I say go for it.