PDA

View Full Version : Almost free TDS meter!

Twisted
11/12/2007, 09:48 AM
Found this in the BAR forums and thought I would pass the link. If you follow the directions you end up with a TDS meter for .78 cents. May not be a great one, I don't know, but for .78 cents I won't complain.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136512&st=0&#entry1357977

shelbiesdaddy
11/12/2007, 10:47 AM
Got one on the way.

Rysam
11/12/2007, 11:55 AM
i ordered 2 and i will donate one to the club for its MEMBERS to use. another reason to cough up the 25$ :)

shelbiesdaddy
11/12/2007, 12:03 PM
that worked out pretty good for you since you were looking for one anyway. Plus you can never have too many gadgets.

Twisted
11/12/2007, 12:05 PM
What did it turn into ordering a second one? Just the added 10.72?

Rysam
11/12/2007, 12:18 PM
no comment..

Twisted
11/12/2007, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11166886#post11166886 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kinghokus420
no comment..

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

iairj84
11/12/2007, 01:02 PM
He just created two accounts... I ordered one right after the thread was started on the nano-reef and they cancelled it. I emailed them back again and they said my card was invalid which is not possible so I just ran it back through with a different card. We'll see how it does.

Twisted
11/20/2007, 03:38 PM
I am so PO'ed about this right now. I saw this and ordered mine right after it was posted on the BAR fourms. I placed my order. Then got confirmation on my order.
I thought, well hell I think someone in Chico was looking for one of these just the other day, I'll repost this on the Chico forums. Then I text messaged Matt, e-mailed the owner of the store I fill in at, etc...

Today Matt calls me to let me know he got his, so I check my e-mail to see if they shipped mine yet, and I got an e-mail saying my order was cancelled to to the product no longer being available.
So even though I placed my order an hour and a half before anyone I know, two of them got thiers, and I got left out in the cold?
I hate companies that can't get thier promotions right.

shelbiesdaddy
11/20/2007, 03:54 PM
Got mine in the mail today.

Rysam
11/20/2007, 04:09 PM
hmm im gonna check mine now

Rysam
11/20/2007, 05:07 PM
yep it was there. i need to replace my DI resin.
tap 49
after ro 12
after RO/DI 07

i am going to donate one of mine to the club so we can all benefit.

iairj84
11/20/2007, 05:59 PM
I was supposed to get it today but I guess not.... tracking number was provided. I guess it will be here tomorrow.

shelbiesdaddy
11/20/2007, 08:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11223740#post11223740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kinghokus420
yep it was there. i need to replace my DI resin.
tap 49
after ro 12
after RO/DI 07

i am going to donate one of mine to the club so we can all benefit.

Our tap is 189!

iairj84
11/20/2007, 11:05 PM
Ya 49? I thought paradise water was loaded with sediment?

boviac
11/20/2007, 11:31 PM
sediments don't necessarily dissolve. TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) :D

Rysam
11/21/2007, 12:30 AM
i double checked with both meters. 47 on one and 49 on the other. the rest tested the same.not bad considering we're all on septic. paradise usually had algae issues more than anything. the chlorines are pretty thick at times depending on algal blooms in the res. its good to know that i can use the tapwater in a pinch.

Rysam
11/21/2007, 12:32 AM
oh, and my wifes fw tank tested at 289. i dont know what that means as far as water quality, but it was another fw thing to test.

shelbiesdaddy
11/21/2007, 08:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11226650#post11226650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kinghokus420
oh, and my wifes fw tank tested at 289. i dont know what that means as far as water quality, but it was another fw thing to test.

huh, I forgot about testing the fw tank.

iairj84
11/21/2007, 11:33 AM
Maybe being on the hospitals power and water grid will improve my water quality..... Probably not :D

It does make it so we don't lose power very often at all, if ever, and if it does happen it's only for a few minutes.

Well to keep this back on topic and respond to the few that said they got it cancelled, mine got cancelled three times before it finally went through. I had to use 4 different cards to get it to work and finally it went through. Buy.com said google checkout couldn't authorize the funds on the other ones.

Twisted
11/21/2007, 01:35 PM
Mine was authorized and the order placed long ago. I got a cancellation noticed that said the item is no longer available.

shelbiesdaddy
11/21/2007, 01:44 PM
I notice the box is from Buy.com. Even though I have never had a problem with them they are not rated too highly in the reviews. Seems this kind of thing happens a lot with them.

boviac
11/21/2007, 02:38 PM
I understand all of Paradise is in PID and PID gets its water from surface sources. That explains why your TDS is so low.

Chico on the other hand comes from at least the third aquifer below us. Interesting thing before I got into my job was we went out to the west fields at Chico State near the tracks and used core samplers and went down probably only 10 feet and found water. But due to who knows what I'd never use that groundwater for anything except maybe watering non-edible landscaping.

iairj84: Do you live at the hospital? Otherwise, I'd be very impressed if the hospital shared its grid priority (However, I don't believe they have any) and backup power generation with you. Further, why would your hospital's water be better than yours unless they treated it onsite? Just curious on the logic here. ;)

iairj84
11/21/2007, 06:19 PM
Well I dont live at the hospital (thank God! the food is horrible!) I do however live very close to it and have been told by PG&E we're on the same grid... How accurate that is I'm not sure. However I do know when all those rolling blackouts happened a few years ago we never once got hit with one. I don't know if that was just coincidance but I doubt it.

As for the water I know there's no difference in the water, I just figured I would make a little joke about it.... Pitiful attempt at making a funny :D

boviac
11/21/2007, 06:44 PM
OK, that makes more sense. During the initial phase of rolling black outs I think priority locations: hospitals, police, fire, etc have selective immunity. However, the next step as we get closer to max ISO generation availability, even priority locations are not immune.

Thanks!

iairj84
11/21/2007, 09:13 PM
Very true! I'm not too worried about it though as I've got a UPS system that I can hook up to the pump or powerhead.

iairj84
11/24/2007, 02:10 AM
Well I finally got my TDS meter today... It gave me some awfully strange readings though, I guess I should swab it with some alcohol to clean those probes.

iairj84
11/28/2007, 04:42 PM
Kinda odd the meter wasn't really working well like I had mentioned and then all of a sudden it seems to be perfect. I even checked it with the guy at the water stores two TDS meters and it was within 1 TDS of theirs. I plan to buy water until I can get the RO going.

iairj84
12/03/2007, 12:01 AM
Just to let you guys know who buy R/O water the machines outside of safeway (I went to the one on Nord, close to me) test out at 35 TDS which would be great for drinking water, not so great for reef water. Reef connections water tested out at 5 for me which is great!

I also had to get some water to top off after finishing the tank late and got some at a place called "Kings Water" which is down nord by the CFN gas pump station and their water tested out at 4 TDS. So their are places to get good water if you don't have a RO/DI system. I will be getting my water from either Reef Connections or the other water place if they're closed when I need it. The water place is 50 cents a gallon though as opposed to 25 at reef connections.

I have an R/O system that I got second hand but need new filters.

boviac
12/04/2007, 11:56 AM
Congrats on the TDS meter and the R/O system. Maybe propose a group buy for filters - It always seems before I know it even though I only use mine monthly that the filters need to be replaced again. Plus, my first two chambers have a habit of growing green algae.

BTW, Mine is 1) mechanical, 2) carbon, 3) carbon, 4) RO, 5) DI

Rysam
12/04/2007, 12:40 PM
i could go for a group buy on some filters. i should be getting much better water than i am out of my filter. i guess it has been 2 years at least since i've touched it.
chris, if your first 2 chambers keep growing algae they always will. the spores from the algae get into the pores in the plastic of the canister and will never go away. when i worked for Mt. Shasta water we threw out the "green bottles" for just that reason.

boviac
12/04/2007, 04:33 PM
I figured I'd just try to keep it out of the light - Nonetheless, I don't always have that option as mine is on a hose adapter and just drains the brine outside (into planters and watering jugs for a while at least)

If and when I ever own a home, I plan on getting a new setup for the whole house as well or now that you mention it at least some new vessel's to replace the algae ridden ones.

iairj84
12/04/2007, 05:11 PM
I'm up for the group buy on filters. Let me know if you can get something going. I know there's a sponsor here on reef central that sells filters and supplies and they might be up for a group buy. Let me know what the costs will be and I shouldn't have any problems getting them AFTER christmas as christmas gifts are like always costing more than I had planned.