PDA

View Full Version : New to nano world: 20 gallon in a hurry

Toledofishguy
11/12/2007, 02:07 PM
Here is the scenario. I added a yellow tang to my 120 about 2 weeks ago. Beautiful fish, cleaning up some minor algae issues, but he is hammering away and harrasing my true perc clown who I have had for 7 years. Half his back tail is missing and the tang lurks behind him. Tang does not bother my chromis or inverts.

This has motivated me to set up a 20 long 30X12X12. I have the 20 already and some spare parts (i.e HOB filter, power heads, heater, etc). I'm picking up a 65Watt PC light from a local reefer and moving some live rock over from the display. Will this work:

15 lbs of live rock, barebottom. No sump. No skimmer. I'll bring in half new mixed water and half water from display. Live rock from display. I'll move over the torch coral my clown hosts in and some leather frags, kenya tree frags and shrooms from the display that have fallen everywhere. A few small hagen powerheads (previously from QT tank).

Is this the basics? The clown will be the only fish for a few weeks, but I may add a cleaner or some other shrimp. Skimmer may be added later, but for now I want to keep it cheap and simple. Better lighting later, but since its only 12 inches deep, the pc should be adequate. I plan on using an egg crate top, but building a canopy in the near future (possibly Turkey Day weekend).

How frequent should I do water changes? A few gallons a week since its only the clown?

deepblue68
11/12/2007, 02:26 PM
i think you would be fine. i would take ten gallons of water from your display tank ,seed it with some sand and live rock from the display and you will be fine.just make sure temp, ph and salinty match that of the display tank.i would move the clown and let the tank stablize before moving any coral's over first.

Toledofishguy
11/12/2007, 02:28 PM
My thought exactly about the corals. A good 3-4 days of being up & running before moving over the corals and frags.