PDA

View Full Version : What is THIS!!!!!

rynon
11/12/2007, 04:45 PM
I have no clue what's going on? To the right of the mouth is what appears to be eggs? The "egg" tentacle has ruptured but nothing is coming out as of now. I have two clones in the tank with this one (sorry a total of 2) and both look rather sad today. Take a look please. Thanks.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/RyanSc_photos/IMG_1496.jpg

Slakker
11/12/2007, 05:58 PM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/RyanSc_photos/IMG_1496.jpg

So others won't need to click.

rynon
11/13/2007, 02:18 PM
No one knows? I looked and can't find anything....BTW it looks like it's now gone?

JamesJR
11/14/2007, 12:50 AM
btw, that is one green anemone. That is sweet!

MarinaP
11/14/2007, 07:12 AM
Some carpet anemone species were documented as internal brooders. I have not heard about BTAs releasing youngsters like that. Were you able to catch that ball?

traveller7
11/14/2007, 07:50 AM
BTA eggs have definitely been green before.....they sure look egg like to me, can't be sure of the source.

timrandlerv10
11/14/2007, 10:34 AM
get a magnifying glass, turn off the power heads, and look til you find them!

is there a pic of the ruptured 'tentacle'?

rynon
11/14/2007, 07:13 PM
Sorry no picture. I was told on another site it looks like an injury, however I have seen injuries to my anemone before and they NEVER looked remotely close to this. I guess I'll have to see if any babies pop up. The egg "sac" was there one day and ruptured, I did not see anything released. Got up the next morning and it was gone, not sure if the entire "ball" came off or if the anemone just released the "eggs". Weird.

rynon
11/15/2007, 05:04 PM
Here's a cropped and enlarged picture......I still have no clue? Anyway, it looks interesting at least.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/RyanSc_photos/IMG_1496-1.jpg

MarinaP
11/15/2007, 05:16 PM
It does look interesting.

Unless you have a proven female and a proven male in the same tank, you won't see any babies coming out of the tentacles (do BTAs reproduce sexually? We do not know)...

rynon
11/15/2007, 05:39 PM
I contacted WWM, I'll just assume you all know them? Anyway I was told it looked like an injured tentacle, I'm not seeing how that looks injured. I'm glad I got to see it since I'll likely never see it again? Probably the most odd thing I've seen in my tanks.

rynon
11/15/2007, 05:56 PM
I'm sure this is an easy to answer question? It seems ridiculous to ask in the first place :). Hmmm, can a clone be of different sex than the original? Here's why I ask, some fish can change sex, how about an anemone? I know, I know, stupid question but this has me wondering. I also found a picture of a "pregnant" female anemone and it does not look like this. The anemone has colored spots all over the tentacles, not one swollen spot....this will have me confused for a long time :). Reef keeping is such fun, isn't it?

MarinaP
11/15/2007, 06:02 PM
Yes, we do know WWM folks.

Injured tentacles do not produce round things like the one in your picture, IMHO.

rynon
11/15/2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm very curious now, almost wish I would have cut the tentacle off??? I could have sent it somewhere to be "checked" out.

MarinaP
11/15/2007, 06:44 PM
Waiting for Vaporize to cut the ball in half. He had similar occurrence to yours, but with a haddoni.

What else do you have in the tank and what are you feeding?

rynon
11/15/2007, 08:00 PM
A few monti frags that were attached to the LR (not added on purpose), a hitchhiking palythoa, some Chaeto, and some dying bryopsis (dying on it's own). No fish, no other anemones other than the clone.

InsaneClownFish
11/16/2007, 06:30 AM
Very curious. Tagging along.

rynon
11/16/2007, 02:07 PM
Here's what Anthony Calfo said "Hmmm... they can asexually planulate (or just release eggs that do not get fertilized)." He also asked if I examined them any further which I am not able to do. What do you guys think about this theory? Does it mean it's happy or stressed? Thanks.

MarinaP
11/16/2007, 02:38 PM
BTAs normally do not release eggs in a ball.

Could mean either one.

kar93
11/16/2007, 04:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11190805#post11190805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rynon
I'm sure this is an easy to answer question? It seems ridiculous to ask in the first place :). Hmmm, can a clone be of different sex than the original? Here's why I ask, some fish can change sex, how about an anemone? I know, I know, stupid question but this has me wondering. I also found a picture of a "pregnant" female anemone and it does not look like this. The anemone has colored spots all over the tentacles, not one swollen spot....this will have me confused for a long time :). Reef keeping is such fun, isn't it?

Thats got me thinking a bit, Clownfish are anemones hosts as we all know and they can change theyre sex from male to female so maybe its the same with an anemones there might be a bit of a connection there.

rynon
11/16/2007, 05:46 PM
OK, here goes, spilling the entire story here. I have a mainly SPS tank, the original anemone split, took up too much space, moved, got close to corals and my clam. I started a new tank, used MY SPS tank live rock, MY SPS water, NEW sand. This was a few weeks ago, they will NOT stop moving and appear perfectly healthy.....just keep moving, due to a lower flow IMO? The person who has been helping me says that there is NO way I can keep these alive in a new tank..........my question is HOW IS THIS NEW? The only thing new is the sand, so what, people change their sand all the time, I've done it in my SPS tank without issues. Now that I told the entire story what do you think? For some reason I cannot see how a new tank with old live rock and water with new sand could cause any issues.....I have pods up the ying yang, very little algae, water quality is good, why is this bad? I'm so confused, I'm being told to move them to my SPS tank to get them in a established tank......IMO this tank is established with new sand....it still has pods. I'm confused now, help please. Also I have no clue if anemone clones can change sex, seems far fetched to me? Man I'm getting frustrated, I'm so "up in the air" as to what to do. I don't want to kill the things....obviously. I tried to keep this off from here because I was interested in one thing....the "egg" ball.

MarinaP
11/16/2007, 06:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11197664#post11197664 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rynon
my question is HOW IS THIS NEW?

It is not new. Don't get frustrated, everything in your tank is doing great. Deep breath :)

BTAs move, accept it, and keep on taking care of your tanks.

rynon
11/17/2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks, I agree with you but needed someone to support my opinion? If they move and look healthy otherwise I guess maybe they're frustrated but healthy? Only one moves daily, the other moves once a week or so. You've been a lot of help, I really appreciate it! :). I'll do another WC tomorrow...........I'm going to the LFS now to get my water tested........again.

MarinaP
11/17/2007, 02:26 PM
Get your own salifert tests, pinpoint pH monitor and a refractometer. You will never have to go to your LFS again for water tests.

My RBTAs have been playing musical chairs for a year in a setup similar to yours (BB, though). Some of them are just plain nuts :rolleyes:

rynon
11/17/2007, 02:31 PM
I have test kits, ran out of ammonia....which tested absolute 0, everything else is good too. I think I'm all set?

MarinaP
11/17/2007, 02:35 PM
Check for nitrites in two days. Ammonia>>> Nitrities>>> Nitrates.

timrandlerv10
11/17/2007, 04:47 PM
male nems->male clones.
same for females.

they can release unfertilized eggs, but from what i understand its pretty rare (in captivity anyway).

i'm still looking for pics of eggs if anyone has any...but from what i understand, they dont come from tentacles, they come from the oral disk.

good luck!

tim

rynon
11/17/2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone and timrandlerv10 I figured that but thought I'd ask anyway. I'm starting to think my ammonia test kit was bad? It read .25 or higher and my reef read .2......um no, my reef is 0 for sure. Anyway I'm glad this might finally be settled? I'll feed small amounts from now on. I'll post a pic of the two for fun. Marina, I'll check the trites tonight. Thanks again.

rynon
11/17/2007, 06:13 PM
Here's a picture of the two. Yes that's Byropsis from my main tank, that's all I had and now it's dying.........good. I also have a lot of microbubbles in the smaller tank due to the skimmer, corals don't like it but the anemones don't care IMO.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/RyanSc_photos/IMG_1510.jpg

skippy2
11/17/2007, 06:33 PM
I would love to see a fts Ryan!!!

rynon
11/17/2007, 06:47 PM
A FTS of this tank would be boring, your seeing it now :). How are you?

traveller7
11/17/2007, 07:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11203485#post11203485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by timrandlerv10
i'm still looking for pics of eggs if anyone has any...but from what i understand, they dont come from tentacles, they come from the oral disk.
Head to the bottom of this article, click on the close up BTA picture, look at the higher tentacle tips:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/feature.htm

rynon
11/20/2007, 05:17 PM
OK, I'm back with a problem, sorry. Not sure what to do at this point. If you read the entire thread you'll get most of the story. So since I last posted I've done a couple water changes and had the crappy looking anemone once and a while. Last night I ran every test I have and every test there is....I believe, everything tested fine (take my word for it please). This morning I get up, take a peek in the tank............can't see inside the tank, it's MILK and it STINKS. Naturally I figured one or both of the anemones were dead, they were both fine????????? So knowing STINKY water and MILKY water are not a good combo for anything living I did something really drastic, I drained the tank all the way down to the sand. I replaced all of the water from my reef tank, pretty much exactly what they're living in, I've been using that water to do my water changes. Anyway I get home from work today and the anemones look a tiny bit ticked off but otherwise fine, they didn't even move. Now to the weirdness, I have nothing in the tank that could have died......no fish, no inverts (other than anemones), nothing, so what happened? These are my only ideas, one split, the baby made it over the overflow and into a pump, no remains other than anemone looking chunks floating in the water. An anemone "got rid of" some tentacles, have no clue why this would happen but that's what it looked like floating in the water. An anemone had a huge puking party and purged everything in it's guts...which is not what this appeared to be but possible? One anemone is wedged in a corner, can't tell if it split, the other looks a LOT smaller but I see no split line. I'm doing a fifty percent water change tomorrow A.M but at this point I may be causing more stress than it's worth? Nitrite is 0, nitrate 0, ammonia .05 (highish). I'm sure had I done nothing the ammonia would have been through the roof high. I really don't know why I'm posting this? Thoughts, opinions? Help? Something please? Thank you.

InsaneClownFish
11/20/2007, 06:18 PM
Hmmm I'm not sure this will be of much help, but it sounds like some type of spawning event- but not quite as drastic. A fellow reefer out here in CTARS had a similar event and I surmised it was from spawning.

My first "gut" feeling would be to get at least one anemone into a quarantine setup ASAP.

rynon
11/20/2007, 06:23 PM
I have a few options when it comes to moving the or a anemone but would rather wait and see what happens in this tank? At the rate I'm changing water they're pretty much in my reef -flow/MH. Thanks for the thought, it was nasty whatever it was.

Lawrence914
11/20/2007, 07:18 PM
Sorry for the hijack...

But... what happens at 100 posts?

rynon
11/20/2007, 07:47 PM
Nothing