PDA

View Full Version : Why am I struggling with my Zoanthus?

ElLatino
11/13/2007, 01:28 AM
I've done everything thats been suggested to my tank. I removed the extra filter, the UV sterilizer and I increased the waterflow dramatically. The water quality is at its best from all points. I'm doing water changes every other Saturday. I just don't understand it.

The polyps are shrinking, as well as the mushrooms. The polyps I recently purchased were so beautiful at the store and did well for the 1st 2 weeks. Now they appear to be dying out one polyp at a time. Thing is, I've always had this problem with my Zos. Don't know why. Can anyone chime in and pose some questions/suggestions?

Currently feeding the tank Mysis, Phytoplankton, Bioplankton, once in a while I'll throw in Cyclop-eeze or some Prime Reef.

xinumaster
11/13/2007, 01:51 AM
you might have something that is eating the zoa. What fish do you have in your tank?

uscharalph
11/13/2007, 04:55 AM
Lighting? Flow? Nitrates?

luke33
11/13/2007, 09:25 AM
Lighting, and all parameters must be in check. Meaning alk, mag as well. I had some probs with them cuz my alk was off for a while.

tkeracer619
11/13/2007, 09:43 AM
There are many preditors of zoanthids. Make absolutly sure this is not your problem. I would suggest dipping several colonies of zoas to see if anything comes off of them. Also stalk them after the lights go off and make sure its not something that goes bump in the night. Pods can irritate zoas as well.

That is of course if the params are in check.

mildew
11/13/2007, 11:00 AM
Try posting in the Zoa forum. I've had the same problem; some colonies have lasted years and grown while other have disappeared in a matter of months. Never found any thing but hydroids attacking the zoas. Since the hydroids are gone things are better. I thought zoas were supposed to be sort of a dirty water thing. Hate to admit it, but I've kind of given up for a while on trying to keep the really pretty zoas and am trying some LPS now.

Zoa Girl
11/13/2007, 11:25 AM
Do you have any pics? It might help rule out predators.