PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest Hitchhiker Ever A. vulgare Isopod (i.e. terrestrial pill bug) Explination?

CHAOSTACTICS
11/13/2007, 09:47 AM
No freaking joke, I swear on my tankdom this is not a Hoax or a joke. I come home tonight to my 47 column tank which is being wet tested at the moment. The tank has now had water in it for more than 72 hours, and saltwater in it for roughly 48 hours. I had left my (texas holy rock from and chiclid tank) rock outside for a few weeks (months) before moving it into this tank. So some dirt or what ever was expected. So I fire up the halide tonight and take a look to see if the water has cleared up at all... and I see movement on the rocks, I thought no way I'm seeing things... So I take a closer look and there they are, not one or two, and not dead but about 14 of the suckers, CRAWLING now you might as what A. vulgare an Isopod aka the common pill bug. this rock has been underwater for more than 72 hours, how can this be??

I took pics and video which I will post tomorrow. (Card reader at work) But I'm kinda tripped out right now, some one please explain?

I'm not making this clear, there are common pill bugs that live outside that you find under rock in your back yard, this rock, texas holey rock was taken form a cichlid tank put outside in a box for storage (was out there for a number of weeks, closer to a couple of months I suppose) then was bought back in and put in a virgin tank, virgin sand, and virgin equipment these are testrial isopods...

ptychoptera
11/13/2007, 12:48 PM
I've collected Armadillidium spp. in a small stream in Iowa. They were completely submerged in shallow water and apparently feeding on the algae there. One would assume that their tolerance for full submersion is limited to brief forays, though 72 hours is a rather substantial time. I expect them to start dropping off rather quickly, but keep us updated.

jade2122
11/14/2007, 08:03 AM
i too saw one or two of these in my reef tank when first set up..the live rock was never left outside or anything though. Only saw them a few times and never again after that. i too was confused, but figured they were just some random look-a-like.

ryan_paskadi
11/14/2007, 09:36 PM
well it is an isopod....Just becuase they can live entirly on land doesnt mean they cannot live in water.