PDA

View Full Version : high phosphates due to feeding...

reefer4sho
11/13/2007, 11:17 AM
so heres the issue i'm having, i've had this marine beta for quite sometime and have always known that he was timid but ate regularly. Now that i have added a mated pair of saddleback clowns in there with him they eat all the food before he can even get a taste, and it doesnt help that he likes to hide out most of the time. so what i've been doing is just putting in more food so that he can get some which some goes into the rocks some goes into the overflow and some makes it into his belly and the rest goes into the clowns bellies. Now i'm having a problem with phosphates.. i cant feed less because then the beta wont get any food. i'm already running a phosban reactor. not really sure of what else to do. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Aquarist007
11/13/2007, 12:27 PM
if you are using frozen foods rinse with r/o water or tank water before using--they can contain phosphates and nitrates from their breeding tanks.

feed more often but less

go to weekly water changes

sera has so stick on the tank spirula tablets--not messy and you could located them at opposite ends of the tank.

that said let some food or direct it with a power head so it goes behind the reef rock--it will get it

bertoni
11/13/2007, 01:05 PM
The phosphate media might need more media, or newer media. Is this the 29g system? What corals are in the system? Only stony corals are going to have a problem with phosphate.