PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime

ReefGirlSara
11/14/2007, 05:50 AM
I'm thinking of buying a used tank, but maybe just the contents because I really have enough tanks for right now. My question is - this tank has tons of red slime in it, and I want to buy the live rock and corals out of it, how do I get rid of it completely before putting it in my tank??

landlord
11/14/2007, 06:02 AM
Here is an opinion for you, it's mine so do as you please with it. I would put the liverock into buckets and then aggressively turkey baste, shake, rattle, and roll. Then dump out the waste saltwater and repeat the process until YOU are satisied that the "visible" slime is pretty much removed. There will still be trace amounts left and that is a fact of life. I would guess that the majority of reefers from beginner to experienced have small manageable amounts somewhere in the tank. The bottom line is how you go about managing it in the future. If you let it get away from you then you have to eat your own dog food, so-to-speak. Its all about maintenenace and routine in my opinion.

Sounds like you have the potential to get a good deal on it so I would definitely go for it!

FWIW --landlord

Savas
11/14/2007, 06:58 AM
I would second landlord's idea. I would also use a toothbrush to remove the cyanobacteria you can see. I would do a last rinse in clean saltwater and then use the rock.

Blown 346
11/14/2007, 07:04 AM
I agree, as well. No need to re cycle the rock.

ReefGirlSara
11/14/2007, 11:52 AM
There are a couple of rocks that are completely covered with mushrooms, should I do the same to them? Mushrooms are pretty hardy, right?

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice!

Savas
11/14/2007, 12:00 PM
I would not scrub the mushrooms or any other corals. I just give them a good swishing in water. Mushrooms are hardy, but you can still kill them.

Be gentle where you can.

Savas
11/14/2007, 12:01 PM
I would not scrub the mushrooms or any other corals. I just give them a good swishing in water. Mushrooms are hardy, but you can still kill them.

Be gentle where you can.