PDA

View Full Version : Eel Questions

Deuter
11/14/2007, 09:49 AM
I'm trying to decide on the Wolf Eel, Snowflake, or the Zebra. I'm leaning more on the wolf or snowflake though. I was curious if anyone has had exsperience with these eels and which one is more reef safe? I don't want an eel that is going to eat all my fish and nock over my rocks and corals. I want just a nice tame eel that is just hand fed. Please tell me your exsperience if you've had any of these eels! thanks!

sir_dudeguy
11/14/2007, 09:55 AM
well i worked for a fish store for a while, and my experience with both the wolf and the snowflake is that they can (yes, can, not CANT) be hand fed....you stick your hand near them, and they eat it :lol: No really though, i hated working in the tanks the snowflakes were in. I got bit a couple times by those and it wasnt fun i can tell you!

Cant really help you with which one is more reef safe though...but the wolf eel isnt really a true eel...i forget what it is...i wanna say dottyback? I may be wrong...but its not an eel i know.

ZC
11/14/2007, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't trust any eel to be hand fed, and you never know what kind of temper you are going to get from any eel. With most eels when you feed they go into a feeding frenzy and can\will bite just about anything.

The wolf eel is acctually a elongated blenny, as far as the snowflake and zebra..... the zebra is prolly more reef safe, but requires a much larger tank since it grows longer then the other two.

I have kept snowflakes in reefs before and it's hit or miss, i've had good ones and bad ones, just keep an eye on them.

Lastly I would reccommend a longer tank than your 65. 3ft is not much room for an eel to roam around in, esp when they become full grown.

Deuter
11/14/2007, 10:16 AM
I didn't mean literally hand feeding the eel, i meant food on a stick kind of deal. however I was thinking about a golden moray but I don't want to pay 300+ dollars and 300 would even be a deal because they're going for 500+. I'm seriously considering the wolf eel / blenny, because it's not completely a eel. I was hoping the wolf eel would be a bit more tame because it's almost a fish and almost a eel. But the wolf eel not really being a eel is ok by me. But what do you think the safest eel would be out of the 3 I listed.

mille239
11/14/2007, 10:27 AM
I've had all three at one time or another (albeit in a FOWLR tank) I can say the zebra is prob. the most docile, with the snowflake a close second. When I had a green wolf eel, he was a real agressive guy, always bullying hs way to the food, and never seemed satiated. he WILL swallow anything that can fit in his mouth (shrimp small fish, etc.) and WILL try to eat things that don't fit in his mouth. (I came home to find 1/2 of my 6" niger triggerfish sticking out of his mouth)

with that said, yes, each eel is individual in their own temperment, so it is a hit or miss whether you get an agressive one or not.

stealthbimmer
11/14/2007, 11:40 AM
i currently have a snowflake, he is in a fowlr so i cant comment on reef safe. I have seen them in reefs though. I hand feed mine everyother day, and he comes up and take the food right out of my hand w/o aggression. Now if i miss a feeding, and its been a few days...he gets grumpy and snaps it out of my hand as soon as its in the tank. Sometimes he thinks my fingers are the food, but if you see them going for your fingers pull the food out,ive only had my finger nibbled once...

Deuter
11/14/2007, 05:08 PM
I think I might go with the zebra perhaps... I've been thinking about this a while, i can't make up my mind.

b.branscombe
11/14/2007, 05:15 PM
The wolf eel is actually a dottyback.

LukFox
11/14/2007, 05:31 PM
Marineaquatics.net sometimes has the golden dwarfs for only 150... Look around for cheaper places. It would really be the best eel to suit your needs, and one of the few species that can last long term in your 65g (the only "eel" on your list that you could put long term in there is the wolf, but I've only heard of them being aggressive, and being dottybacks, I believe it).

Blown 346
11/14/2007, 05:35 PM
No Eel is going to be reef safe! They will eat what they can catch and fit in the mouth. Also make sure your liverock is very secure as eels like to burrow under the rockwork.

Out of the eels you have listed, the snowflake wouldnt be a bad choice. The one I had was great, I was able to feed it from the fish net, also hold it in my hand.
Also remember to seal off the tank very well, as they are great escape artists, even though you think the lids are secure, go over them again.

erendon
11/15/2007, 05:38 PM
I have a Golden Dwarf in my reef. Hes been in there for about 4 years. He WAS buddies with a large engeneer gobbie for a long time but he ended up killing him. He does not bother my other fish nor my fire cleaner shrimp. I'm happy with him.

shootist
11/16/2007, 02:17 AM
I have to vote for the snowflake. I kept one for several years. I would characterize him as moderately reef safe. The whole key to temperment is keeping the animal fed well. I fed mine usually salad shrimp with a fondue fork at least every other day,often every day a little chunk. Any longer in between feedings and he would begin to consume his tank mates as well as becoming more aggressive when I went to feed him,also escape attempts only occured if I missed a couple of feedings. Another advantage is the snowflakes dont tend to grow as large as your other two selections. Basically keep him well fed and you will get angel dont and get the devil.