PDA

View Full Version : Regal Angle

tony varrell
11/14/2007, 10:38 AM
Im have introduced a regal angle to my system 1 week ago. It is doing great with one exception. I have a well established yellow tang that continuelly tries to show dominence. I wonder if this behavior will continue indefinately as it has been going on for a week now? Right now the angle retreats to a place in the rock then comes back out shortly and returnes to grazing. This is particularly a problem during feeding.

triggerfish1976
11/14/2007, 12:43 PM
This is generally one of the biggest problems people have with Regals. They are a very docile and reserved fish that do not do well when they are being pestered by other fish. I would recommend removing the tang so the regal can get acclimated to the tank and start eating. If you leave the tang in the tank the Angel will continue to be reluctant to feed and will slowly waste away.

tony varrell
11/14/2007, 01:47 PM
Any creative suggestions on how to accomplish removing the tang.

triggerfish1976
11/14/2007, 01:54 PM
Fish traps work pretty good on tangs.

tony varrell
11/14/2007, 02:02 PM
He won't go near a trap. I had a similar problem with a adult chevron. I used a small non barb hook to fish him out. It worked great. He was at the LFS 30 minutes after I caught him and is doing fine there. The yellow won't go near the hook either.. breaking my system down is not an option. To much mature SPS in the system. Any other suggestions??

LargeAngels
11/14/2007, 03:35 PM
Try a middle of the night raid when the tang is sleeping.

yoboyjdizz
11/14/2007, 07:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11182720#post11182720 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LargeAngels
Try a middle of the night raid when the tang is sleeping.

haha good one. But this does work. Or have a friend swoop em up during feeding time while is distracted trying to eat.

jmaneyapanda
11/15/2007, 11:48 AM
put a mirror in the trap. If your yellow acts dominant, there is no way hed allow "another" yellow on his turf. Not only will he go in the trap, but he'll stay in there.

racerw
11/15/2007, 12:07 PM
How did your joculator take to the regal addition?

tony varrell
11/15/2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks! good idea with the mirror. I will try that..

tony varrell
11/15/2007, 01:17 PM
my Joculator has taken no notice at all of the Regal..

Redfish
11/15/2007, 01:32 PM
I recently made the mistake of adding a very large, but beautiful, yellow tang to my aquarium. He immediately begin to harrass just about everything but particularly my school of golden butterflys. I know, I know, call me stupid.

That #%$&# just would not get in the usually trusty fish trap. I finally resulted to the old tried and true method of putting a large net in the front of the aquarium and feeding in front of it so that the fish had to get between it and the glass. On day two in the evening, I simply netted the fish as he ate in front of the net.

racerw
11/15/2007, 03:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11189153#post11189153 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tony varrell
my Joculator has taken no notice at all of the Regal..
That is great :). When I added my pair of Interruptus to the tank my male Joculator was very aggressive towards my male. I ended up having to take my pair of jocs out.
I always catch my fish using a collection container w/food in it.
I hold the contain about midway down w/food in it & all the fish swim in it
Here is a link w/different ways to catch a fish
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=707656&perpage=25&highlight=catch%20AND%20fish&pagenumber=1
Hope you get the tang out soon so the regal can start settling in, I have always thought they were a beautiful fish

bureau13
11/15/2007, 03:42 PM
When I added my Regal, my Blue face (sounds like a recipe for disaster, I know) pestered him quite frequently. I must have got a lucky one, because he would swim away but immediately come back out. He was eating like a pig in less than a week, and the Blue face rarely pays him any mind now. This was roughly four months ago I would say. Its very possible the YT will get bored and leave him alone, I've had tangs harrass other tangs for several days upon introduction, and then suddenly lose interest.

jds

tony varrell
11/16/2007, 08:55 AM
Bureau 13 thanks for that. I have noticed that the yellow tang is beginning to act as you stated. I hope he will stop the harassment completely soon because he is a smart sucker and I don't see myself getting him out. Regarding the joculator and intruptus issued someone mentioned. I had a similar experience with my joculator. I had no choice but to get the intruptus out because they would not co-exist in my system and I added them together.