PDA

View Full Version : anyone use quickrete sand from lowes

dominic
11/14/2007, 09:39 AM
this sand looks better than the white castle i used before ,and cant find any sand but this stuff, would you use it ?

useskaforevil
11/14/2007, 09:48 AM
i've used a quickrete premium play sand in two differnt tanks now with no problems. i boguht one other kind of their sand before but it had little bits of rock and a peice of metal in it so i just tossed it just to play it safe, but the play sand works great and at $3 for 50lbs you cant really beat the price

stealthbimmer
11/14/2007, 09:50 AM
if its the play sand, then maybe....if its the pool filter sand then no. That stuff is sharp...will end up hurting in the end. I use kolorscape sand from walmart in all 3 of my tanks and i have no problem.

wickedfood
11/14/2007, 11:50 AM
One issue with using Quickrete playsand is it will not buffer your tank's PH the way aragonite reef sand would. There's a thread where someone tracked the origin of Quickrete to a quarry in Ohio, so the stuff is not of a saltwater origin. Does this matter? Who knows. I just figure if youre gonna have sand stirring/sifting/dwelling critters, it's best to stick with the most natural sand possible--aragonite. Just my opinion.

DrBegalke
11/14/2007, 03:29 PM
silica sand is not as good for macro fauna (ie cuts burrowing animals, fish, etc.) and may not support the same types of micro fauna as aragonite sand.

the buffering aspect probably isn't a big deal.

i would think their is a greater chance of heavy metal and other contaminants, considering the source.

bottom line, people can and do use it, but i'm not sure its worth saving the relatively few dollars vs. aragonite.

reefkoi
11/14/2007, 06:41 PM
It amazes me what RC'ers will put in their tanks.
$3 for 50 lbs of sand? I mean that stuff is loaded into a big hopper with a huge front loader, out in the open you never know whats in it.
Then everyone says "oh yeah it works great no problems"
Then 3 months later they are complaining that everything in the tank is dying, algae everywhere but "the parameters" are perfect "0" everything!
Oh well don't mind me I'm just rambling on here.
Chris

reef1973
11/14/2007, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't take the chance. Never know what's in those play sand.

svb57
11/14/2007, 06:47 PM
I have a 300g tank that i have had up 6 months with it and no issues. The tank has healthy SPS, LPS, clams. It is part of a 750g set-up. Sand sifting Goby hgas had now issues with it. It is the Quickrete medium grained.

My 2 cents
Jim Mc

mattc183
11/15/2007, 12:07 AM
I've got the playsand in 4 tanks for almost two years now. No problems. Definitely rinse it before adding to system.

useskaforevil
11/15/2007, 12:10 AM
reefkoi do you know of anyone that has had problems with this sand? or are you just making assumptions? because if they're unfounded that was useless to anyone asking for help.

and i assume agronite sand is plucked grain by grain by migrant workers and is vaccumed sealed and certified by jesus?

airinhere
11/15/2007, 12:26 AM
lol.
(caution, sarcasm ahead)
I think a true reefer should be unable to examine their equipment and aquascaping materials for themselves. They should rely on the good intentions of the various companies providing materials for this hobby. Everyone knows that products should be paid for without looking at what the value is. You are the worst kind of consumer for even asking a question like this.

An educated one.

What is the sand made of? Thats really the only question you need to ask. Answer that and you know if its safe to put in your tank. Can't answer, probably shouldn't put it into your tank.

NeveSSL
11/15/2007, 01:10 AM
Have to agree with useskaforevil.

You really are rambling (your words) and not helping anything. I've been using silica for 6 months without any problems.

And, BTW, where is aragonite loaded? Probably a whole lot like silica, just out of a different quarry.

Dominic: You're perfectly fine using silica. I've not heard anyone have any problems out of it that could be without a doubt their sand. Just do make sure to rinse it before you use (as with ANY new sand).

Brandon

dominic
11/15/2007, 05:54 AM
thanks guys i have used white castle before in a 400 gal 10 bags and it was fine ,and looked alot worse than this stuff,i also have 100 pds live sand to mix with it from someone eles tank ,

stealthbimmer
11/16/2007, 05:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11184477#post11184477 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkoi
$3 for 50 lbs of sand? I mean that stuff is loaded into a big hopper with a huge front loader, out in the open you never know whats in it.
Then 3 months later they are complaining that everything in the tank is dying, algae everywhere but "the parameters" are perfect "0" everything!
Chris
used it for over a yr in all my tanks, never any bad algae, no deaths. nems dont mind it, jawfish doesnt mind it, eel doesnt mind it.

NeveSSL
11/16/2007, 06:27 PM
Make sure, dominic, that the sand from the other tank doesn't cause problems. Remember that the sand collects A LOT of stuff and most of it is not good. :) In short, just make sure the sand you're bringing in is clean.

Brandon

poppin_fresh
11/16/2007, 08:30 PM
I just set up a 180 using Kolorscape white play sand. It claims to be mostly Silica free (quartz based). Since the glass in our tanks is made of quartz, I'm not overly worried about it.

My 10 month old 14g nano has quickrete sand in it. Other than the light brown color, I have no complaints about it.

dominic
11/17/2007, 06:50 AM
yea i am putting it in, people say we are being cheap ,but the cheapest i found sand around here for is $40.00 for 30 pds , i would need 7 bags of that for $280.00 insted i payed $12.00 at lowes pretty good savings and we all used to use southdown before

m2434
11/17/2007, 08:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11184477#post11184477 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkoi
Chris

All sand sould be rinsed well before putting into a tank, aragonite or not. This should take care of most contamination...

dc
11/17/2007, 09:19 AM
LOL, I have it in 2 tanks one being my anemone tank, it's been in there for 5 years.

Actually I've gotten foreign objects in my caribsea, burnt driftwood being one of them.

Grevious
11/17/2007, 09:28 AM
Hey Dominic,

Do you have any photos of the container the sand comes in? I am looking to add a few more pounds to my system, and came across quite a few different variants at HD & Lowes.

Thanks

greenbean36191
11/17/2007, 11:13 AM
silica sand is not as good for macro fauna (ie cuts burrowing animals, fish, etc.) and may not support the same types of micro fauna as aragonite sand.
Sure it does. The majority of the sand in the ocean is silicious and the animals there aren't hurt by it. The diversity is similar to aragonitic sand. At the scale we're talking about the edges aren't that sharp. Dr. Ron has his sandbed classes do surveys of the life in their sand and the silicious beds have always supported equal or greater diversity.

Matattt
11/17/2007, 11:10 PM
IMO its better to use something that comes from the ocean because common sense would tell you to do so. Think about it... Water movement... It moves the sand around, thus smoothing out any sharp edges. Duh, beach glass. Sand quarry? Not so much movement. If you take a really strong magnifying glass and compared aragonite vs play sand you'll see that the aragonite is rounded like the pebbles you find at the beach, and the play sand looks like millions if tiny crystals. Ouch!

I am using 40lbs of aragonite and 40lbs of crushed coral. Good buffer and good hangout for all those little critters (amphipods and such).

m2434
11/17/2007, 11:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11202069#post11202069 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
Sure it does. The majority of the sand in the ocean is silicious and the animals there aren't hurt by it. The diversity is similar to aragonitic sand. At the scale we're talking about the edges aren't that sharp. Dr. Ron has his sandbed classes do surveys of the life in their sand and the silicious beds have always supported equal or greater diversity.

A lot reef critters benefit from silica. I'm interested to know if silica in the sand is biologically available. That would certainly seem to explain the observation.

greenbean36191
11/19/2007, 08:21 AM
Think about it... Water movement... It moves the sand around, thus smoothing out any sharp edges. Duh, beach glass. Sand quarry? Not so much movement. If you take a really strong magnifying glass and compared aragonite vs play sand you'll see that the aragonite is rounded like the pebbles you find at the beach, and the play sand looks like millions if tiny crystals.
Almost any sand quarried from inland (which includes most aragonite) was worked and deposited by water at some point. When you look at silicious sand with a magnifying glass or other low magnification it looks pretty sharp. It's not so sharp when you look with a little higher magnification, especially when you consider that the animals that live there are adapted to live in sand. All of the infaunal animal groups are well represented in silicious sand in nature. Worrying about them cutting themselves on the sand is roughly equivalent to worrying about someone cutting through their fingernail with the edge of your computer. It's a complete non-issue. Not only does nature show us that they don't care, we have people who have actually done the work in their tanks to show that there's no significant difference.

A lot reef critters benefit from silica. I'm interested to know if silica in the sand is biologically available.
It shouldn't be unless you have some really dirty sand.

Grevious
11/19/2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the input Greenbean, it's been very helpful. I plan on picking up some of this sand to add to my current livesand.

thor32766
11/19/2007, 09:46 AM
There is silica sand located around some reefs here in florida. The natural reefs dont seem to have any problems with it.

NeveSSL
11/19/2007, 04:12 PM
I do have to say that I've considered changing my sand out to aragonite, though. Only because I like the way it looks better and I wouldn't have to spend but about $50 or so to replace all the sand in my tank now.

Brandon

Grevious
12/02/2007, 02:08 PM
Any updates on the sand Dominic? How does it look?

dominic
12/02/2007, 02:59 PM
all is good so far

uncleant
12/02/2007, 04:50 PM
i am going to lowes tomarrow to pick up the same play sand to put in my new refugium. Can i use regular tap water to rinse?

fat-tony
12/02/2007, 05:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11299871#post11299871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uncleant
i am going to lowes tomarrow to pick up the same play sand to put in my new refugium. Can i use regular tap water to rinse?

you "can", but if you have RO available personally I'd go that route

uncleant
12/02/2007, 05:09 PM
yeah i have RO water on hand but only 5 gallons at the moment