PDA

View Full Version : clarkii clowns aggresive?

stealthbimmer
11/14/2007, 10:46 AM
Are they? im looking to pick up a pair for my sebae nem since my percs seem to have no intrest in it. The percs are getting a rbta on friday. the fish will be in different tanks, so dont get on my back thinking that they will. I just want to know which one will be more suitable to be with other fish. One tank will be devoted to the clown pair and their nem, the other will have 1-2 other fish.TIA

wicked_NaCl_h2o
11/14/2007, 11:12 AM
They can be aggresive tward other clowns. I am sure they won't bother other fish. Good choice.. clarkiis love all anemones and they take good care of their anemones too. Well they try..lol I have seen one trying to feed its anemone gravel.

bobt2
11/14/2007, 11:30 AM
they are very aggresive! he and my flame are always butting heads and i,ve gotten bitten to the point of drawing blood when trying to clean the glass. he was 1/2" when i got him, now he's 4". if i could catch him he'd be gone.

wicked_NaCl_h2o
11/14/2007, 11:46 AM
Really? I read that most clowns will bite their owners my ocellaris do. My female took a mouth sized chunk of my husbands hand once. Then I read about people having no problems with their clowns and are amazed to hear that our clowns bite us. Are you saying all clarkii clowns are like that or just yours?

davocean
11/14/2007, 01:52 PM
When my clarks became mature they attacked all my fish, had to remove them.
My maroons are actually more mellow than my clarks were.

Toddrtrex
11/14/2007, 02:07 PM
Think you are going to find that each pair of clarkiis are going to have their own personalities. Mine are pretty calm, the only time they were mean was back when I had a 3 stripe damsel in my tank, they didn't care for him at all. I am thinking it was the stripes that did it.

Recently I moved my flame angel in to that tank. The only thing that they did to it was sometimes get in its way -- if the flame was trying to get into a cave they would block the entrance. I swear I could almost read their minds, they had a look about them that was saying that -- "we really don't want to do this, but since we are suppose to be mean we'll make a token effort at being mean."

Though I believe I have a mellow pair, when I moved the tank they were spawning later that week, since that was their schedule. They will continue to spawn even when I have my hand in the tank doing a water change.

::PixelFish::
11/14/2007, 05:40 PM
My Clarkii is very mean to my fish except my Hippo Tang. She shakes and quivers in front of him and does all these strange type mating moves which is very odd. When she attacks the other fish, the Hippo will swoop in between her and the other fish and protect them from her attacks. She even goes after my shrimp.

As for being good to her anenome, I was worried that she would kill my RBTA when it was smaller because she used to dive bomb it. She killed off some other corals hosting in them very roughly before I got the RBTA. She actually broke a finger leather apart hosting it. My RBTA is huge now and can withstand her loving.

Awful fish but Clarkii are my favorite clowns because they have a lot of personality and mine is gorgeous with her adult coloring.

baondayko
11/15/2007, 08:29 AM
Hmmm...mine only shows a dislike for my Fridmani Pseudochromis. Of course my other fish are close to the same size. He (maybe) does like to open his mouth to show me those little teeth.

Love mine!

davocean
11/15/2007, 12:44 PM
I do have to give clarks props for being so far the best caregivers to my nems, ALWAYS feeding nems b4 eating for themselves.
Mine were great for about 1 1/2 yrs, and then one day they just started thrashing every fish I had.
Looking back I'm guessing they may have started laying eggs or something and became extremely territorial.

Toddrtrex
11/15/2007, 01:04 PM
Man, mine must be the lamest parents out there. ;)

Back when I had a mandarin, I sat and watched it eat the eggs while the clarkii pair did nothing. But, no other fish was allowed near them.

davocean
11/15/2007, 01:52 PM
That's cool, I never thought about mandy's eating clowns eggs.
I have a pair of mandy's and I'd be stoked for them if they got eggs from my clowns regularly.
Talk about a nice high calorie/protein diet!

wicked_NaCl_h2o
11/15/2007, 03:35 PM
So, are you guys saying you don't reccomend a clarkii? This is the first time I've seen you guys complain about the clarks or I wasn't paying attention before.:rolleyes:

dc
11/15/2007, 03:53 PM
I think all clownfish can be aggressive given the right circumstances. They are just pretty damsels after all. :D

Toddrtrex
11/15/2007, 03:58 PM
I know if I lost my pair I would be very tempted to get another pair, I love mine.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/FemaleMaleClarkii6.jpg

davocean
11/15/2007, 07:33 PM
I'm not trying to bag on clarks, just giving my exp. w/ them.
Some people have good luck and just love em.
Many fish have known traits, but there always seems to be an exception, they are animals and you can't always tell what they are going to do.
Many clowns do get ticky.
The only clowns I've had that were absolutely passive were pink skunks.

baondayko
11/16/2007, 07:35 AM
If I lost my Clarki, I would purchase two as a replacement. I think they are excellent fish, with interesting personalities.

bobt2
11/16/2007, 11:24 AM
i would never get another, not worth the agression. and he has at least 15 bta's in the tank that are all his

SEAFLOWERS
11/16/2007, 12:01 PM
I have a mated pair that came from the Solomon Islands that live in a LTA in the tank that is about as best as I can measure about 18 in. across when fully open. I absolutely love them, and they only bother the other fish when they get too close to the nem.

stealthbimmer
11/16/2007, 01:16 PM
thanks for the info guys, looks like i will put the clarkiis in their own tank