PDA

View Full Version : help me set up my calcium reactor

Jasontkd
11/15/2007, 12:06 PM
hey all,

It is finally time that I get my calcium reactor set up. Only thing is, I have never owned or operated a calcium reactor before, so I need help. Can anyone take some time and help walk me through how to set it up and get it properly set?

also, I have a milwaukee pH controller for it, but I don't know how to calibrate it. any help would be greatly aprreciated

old salty
11/15/2007, 02:00 PM
Fill the reactor with the media you will be using. When you get it all set up, DO NOT turn the CO2 on. Open the effluent valve to wide open, and let the reactor run like this for 48 hours. This will help to purge all of the air that is trapped inside. In other words, turn everything on except the CO2.

In the meantime, measure your Ca and alk in your tank and also in a batch of NSW that has been mixing for 24 hours. Report your results.

Jasontkd
11/15/2007, 02:30 PM
do I need to rinse the media? also, there is a port in the reactor for my pH probe. How do i calibrate it, so I can set that up and get it in there? I figure i should do this before there is water in the reactor so I don't have to plug the hole for it and add it later.

Capt_Cully
11/15/2007, 02:57 PM
what kind of reactor? does your regulator have a solenoid?

Jasontkd
11/15/2007, 03:21 PM
yes, I have a regulator with a solenoid. the reactor is the nano reactor from http://www.aquaticsystemsdesign.com/product_view.php?model=carxnano

old salty
11/15/2007, 04:50 PM
It would be a good idea to rinse the media, then follow that up with a rinse in RO/DI water.

I don't see any pH probe port on that reactor.

Capt_Cully
11/15/2007, 08:00 PM
I think you could still, depending on controller, regulate the reactor output by putting the pH probe in the tank and plugging the solenoid into the controller.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Jasontkd
11/16/2007, 06:38 AM
there is a pH port. it is on a pipe right at the rear of the eheim pump. if you go to the link and click through the pictures at the bottom of the page, you can see it in the picture all the way to the right.

Jasontkd
11/16/2007, 08:12 AM
^^^^^^^^^

old salty
11/16/2007, 01:32 PM
You can put the pH probe inside the reactor while you purge it. Is this going on the 29g tank?